Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE in cold temps

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,

Well I have done several cooks now in minus zero weather (metric system) with less then desirable results sadly. The chicken, hamburger, and steak were undercooked, yet almost charred. It would seem that the egg does not cook all that great in cold temps. Thought the dome temp indicates one story it does not appear to hold true. Thoughts and or experiences appreciated.....

Eggin in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to calibrate your dome thermometer as it is off. Coldest I've egged was -14° and the BGE performed like a champ!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    That is surprising. We have many Canadian eggers here and I don't seem to remember seeing many with your problem. By chance did you check and adjust your thermometer. If it is off it can make a big difference in the results you get.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    c77fd891.jpg

Not sure if I can recollect the details of the numerous steak or burger cooks below zero, but I've done hundreds of longer cooks at those temps....Heck, that's why I bought an Egg. Once it's up to temp, it doesn't know the difference between Groundhog Day or the 4th of July.

When it's cold out, be sure to give your Egg plenty of time to come up to temp, not just the thermometer, but the Egg itself.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Buddy,

It's - 18 here right now. The egg is good to - 34 in my experience. Nothing to do with the ambient. E-mail me if you continue to have problems.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Burned on the outside and raw on the inside? Sounds like cooking temps are a bit high. Check/calibrate your dome thermometer. Are you using a good internal meat thermometer as well?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sounds to me like he's cooking by time.

can't cook chicken by 'x minutes at 425 degrees'
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JalopyBob
    Options
    It seems strange to blame burned on the outside and raw on the inside on the egg and the cold weather. It may take a while longer to get the egg heated all the way through in the cold, but when you do, it will cook just like a nice warm sunny day. Spend a little bit more time to get to know your egg and it will serve you well.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    The only thing I could suggest is to make sure the wind isn't blowing directly into your bottom draft... and even then...

Are you using the Egg like a hibachi? Do you close the dome when cooking, or leave it open?

The only time I use an open dome is when searing large chunks-a meat -- maybe 3 min/side, the pull the meat, drop the Egg to 400F an' roast away...

Get your Egg fully up to temp... that mean being patient, Grasshopper... and let the inside ceramic of the dome get hot, too -- so you're roasting from all sides.

~ B
    :unsure: B);)
  • Hi guys,

First off, thanks for the feedback. I have been cooking on my large BGE since this summer, and it was excellent then. The temp probe may indeed be off and the last two cooks I did I took extra time to let the temp and egg itself come up to temp. This is why I was surprised when I got middling results. Frustrating as I do love the food on the BGE. Anyhow, will likely upgrade my temp probe to one I saw online, whose name escapes me now, and likely go with longer "low and slow" cooks.

On another topic.....my favorite three BGE cooked dishes are: pizza, burgers, and steak.