Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spin Pizza

DrEgg
DrEgg Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pie.JPG?dc=4675409418001880580
<p />Pizza success at last! Was about to give up completely on egg pizza, but tonight we finally got it together. For all others who have been frustrated, keep trying. It is definitely worth it. I used Spin's recipe for both dough and sauce. Cooked at 550 on pre-heated stone. 10 minutes seems to be about right for timing.[p]Cold ones,[p]DrEgg

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    DrEgg,
    Pizza looks tasty! Glad you kept at it till you were successful...nothing quite like an Egg'd pizza.
    One observation...I think the most common setup using plate setter and pizza stone is to leave the grill in normal position, plate setter feet down and on top of the grill, stone on top of that. One advantage I've found using that setup is with temps in the 5-600 range heating the stone, it cleans the grill too! Just a thought. But since you've got success this way, keep using it! Like everything else, it only gets better with the egg!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    pizza6.jpg
    <p />DrEgg:[p]Stick with that basic dough recipe for a while and play with diferent cheeses, topings, and dough additives. Then venture into subtle dough modifications. Some sites to visit for recipe hints, additives, and such:[p]http://www.theartisan.net[p]http://www.kingarthurflour.com
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    pizza9.jpg
    <p />DrEgg,[p]It doesn't get better than an Egged pizza! After doing them for years (pre-made store bought, doctored Boboli shells and self rising frozens), I finally made one from scratch with both Spin's dough and sauce. It was the tastiest ever.[p]From now on, I will make them no other way. This one was with Cajun sauteed mushrooms and leftover brisket. As you can see, my dough shaping skills need some improvement.[p]K~G
    phut.gif

• KennyG,
    Like you, I usually use the Boboli shells to make my pizzas, but your message has encouraged me to find Spin's recipe and try it.

• DrEgg,
    Could you give me a little more information on Spins receipe please. Thanks

• Love Handles,[p]Spin's pizza recipe can be found right here on this very website!
    [ul][li]Spin's pizza recipe[/ul]
  • DrEgg
    Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Seems like getting the dough-making down was the key. Looking forward to start experimenting with toppings. [p]I had turned platesetter upside down (feet up) as a desparate attempt to do something different after many crust failures. In retrospect, I see that it was the dough, not the cooking that made the difference. I guess I'll try it the other way again.[p]Beers,[p]DrEgg
  • DrEgg
    KennyG,[p]Was the Pizza Magic used to sautee the mushrooms, or did you shake it directly on the pizza?[p]DrEgg

• DrEgg, Our local Publix Groc. sells pizza dough in there bakery, that I have had good luck with. I can not tell much diff. in it, and the dough I made from scratch. If you have a Pubix in your area ya,ll might give it a try. Also any groc. that has a bakery may sell pizza dough?[p]Hugh, Sitting on The Dock Of The Woods

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Dock of The Woods,
    In our hometown there is a well-known Portuguese bakery where they have just 3 items; buns, small loaves and large loaves. You go in, the owner is behind this long counter and in behind are tilted bins with, yes, buns, small loaves and large loaves of the best-tasting Portuguese bread you ever tasted.
    I have not done it yet, but am told that if you get there early in the morning, when they are still in the process of baking these up, you can get the raw dough. Apparently that Portugese style of dense crust and light, fluffy inner bread makes amazing pizza.
    Bottom line, if you have a local Portugese bakery, and are interested in trying various pizza dough styles, check and see if you can arrange to get a pound of raw dough from them, it might be worth the effort.
    Qfan

• KennyG
    pizza8.jpg
    <p />DrEgg,[p]Pasta Magic was a last minute shake on. Cajun power made the mushrooms along with some butter and a spash of worcestershire.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Love Handles,[p]I used my Oster bread machine to make the dough. I simply dumped the listed ingredients into the machine and skipped the "yeast foam" first step. It came out perfect after the 90 minute "dough" cycle. Could not have been easier![p]K~G

• DrEgg, explain the set-up you have in the picture. What is the thing that looks like a stone under the pizza stone and what is it for? That pizza looks so good I want to try one. Thanks, Ryan

• Gwei-lo from Oz,
    Thanks for all your help. I'm going to try this someday. My wife says all I ever cook is "hunks o meat", so I want to try some different things on the egg.

• IQ
    IQ Posts: 16
    djm5x9,
    Thanks for the links, lots of good ideas at the sites. [p]My pizza making is OK, Calzone is another story but half the fun is the journey getting their. [p]IQ

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    ryan in ms,
    It looks like the set up is: plate setter turned upside down with feet up, grate, pizza stone, pizza.[p]We put our plate setter feet down on the grate, and put the stone directly on that.[p]~nikki

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    oops..forgot the link
    [ul][li]Pizza[/ul]
  • DrEgg
    ryan in ms,[p]Nikki is right. This was the first time I used the plate setter this way. In the past I used a setup as described in her link.[p]Pizza was good. You should definitely try it![p]DrEgg

• ryan in ms,
    The "thing" under his grate is a plate setter. You definitely should consider one. It is perfect for raising the pizza stone up to the level of the opening, allowing you to get the pie in and out with a peel. It also adds ceramic mass to allow for more even heating of the pizza stone. In general, it is also extremely useful as a ceramic shield for indirect cooks. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Love Handles,
    Why wait for someday. If you can find a local pizza joint that will sell you an unbaked pie, you can be making pizza tonight! I'm the lazy type, so I pop down to our local Capital Creations for a barbecue chicken, mozzarella, red onion unbaked pie. 7 minutes at 550 on a thoroughly preheated plate setter and stone with a ton of hickory smoke makes a wonderful pizza![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    Hey Whiz, thats a great idea. There are a couple of good pizza places here in our little town. By the way, you have a great website and I seem to always be looking at it. Check out mine at custompaint.biz and look at some of what I do for a living

• Love Handles,
    pretty cool looking work you do there! Thanks for sharing. ^oo^~

• Love Handles,
    Oh yeah! I'll bet you could do some kickass work with some high temperature paint on an egg! "And here we have the Naked Whiz Flashback paint scheme. Please mind your arm hair, eyebrows, etc. when opening..."[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz