Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small is HERE!

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new small egg and nest arrived and she's already steaming away on her first cook (of course it's a she...just look at her!).[p]
Have that pork shoulder nestled in some goodies cooking away. Am trying one new thing. I'm cooking it in a clay pot. One of these:[p]http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/06rebj1.html#Top[p]Leaving the cover off for the first hour or two to get some smoke taste in there, and then will cover it until I'm tired of it cooking. Anyone used these in the egg before? Seems like a natural, but might not be!

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Mollyshark,
    I would sit the clay pot on a pizza stone,it might crack being right on the fire.
    Larry

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Mollyshark,[p]I am just curious. I look at my egg as a "clay pot" and do not understand what the additional benefit would be. In your opinion do you think it will cook faster, better, moister or what?[p]I am easy to confuse these days so be gentle with me :~)[p]Thanks for the link

• mollyshark
    YB,[p]Yikes! Better go do that now! Thanks.[p]mShark
  • mollyshark
    Bob,[p]Hell, I dunno. It was the right size! Since it is slightly porous, was thinking maybe the cooking vessel itself would allow some of the smoke flavor to come in. It is rather a clay pot in a clay pot. Whatever is in it should come out extremely moist. It even does cooking with these in the oven. So why not use the oven? I'd miss the smoke flavor I get by leaving the cover off the first hour or two. Have no idea if there is any validity in any of this, but I had to cook something on my new small right away! LOL.
  • Mollyshark,
    Sure, it's a she, but have you named her?
    [/b]
  • Mollyshark,
    I used to cook a lot of things in those clay pots in the oven. Everything came out really moist and tender. I have read where some of the eggers use dutch ovens for stews etc., so why not use the clay.
    Please post the results. I am interested in how it turns out. Clay in ceramic sorta reminds me of Turducken.:)[p]Happy cooking,
    Big John

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Mollyshark,
    Congratulations, do you now have a large and small???? Your family is growing. LOL[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Mollyshark,[p]I have used these before and it is one of the reasons I bought the egg. I would soak the clay in water first, then use it in the oven at relatively low temp, mostly with Chicken. Always came out great with veggies in with the Chicken. I don't use it with the egg, as I like the texture of the egg cooked foods better and think they are almost as moist. The open space in the egg is just larger and has some vents. IMHO the clay pot is a good slow cooker, better than the crock pot, but you lose some texture (ie pulled pork works, but no bark or smoke). ChuckE
  • Mollyshark,
    Tell us how it comes out. I would think the pork would give off too much grease, really soaking into the clay pot. I think the greatest benefit would be much less smoke flavor, although I usually try to smoke out my neighbors when I cook.[p]We like to use our clay pot with the bottom lined with 1/4" thick potato slices and a nice fat meatloaf sitting in the middle of them. Top with tomato based sauce, into the oven, yum.[p]SS

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Mollyshark,[p]I'm jealous. I want to add a Small to the family (of Medium and Mini), but my wife thinks this would be a bit "excessive." [p]Perhaps you can give me some good reasons why a Small is an absolutely necessary addition : ) [p]By the way, do I remember correctly that you've said you've cooked pork tenderloins on your Mini? I want to do jerky and pork tenderloins simultaneously this weekend, and would have to do the tenderloins on the Mini. I'm worried about space, though--do you just curl them up in a spiral or something?[p]TRex
  • mollyshark
    TRex,[p]Never had to curl them. I just make sure I cut the things no so they fit in a 9" round baking pan. Stick them on a metal trivet so they don't sit in the pan and they come out fabulous. You can almost squish them to fit. They don't mind! If you're doing 2, you probably would have to curl them. I think you need to get the small immediately. Sure it's excessive. But you wouldn't boil an egg in a stockpot, wouldja? You need the right equipment at all times! I'll talk to her. Put her on...I'll wait.
  • mollyshark
    Still Smokin',[p]Lord oh lord it was delicious. Didn't fall apart quite as much as pulled pork, but I didn't leave it in that long. I cut off the fat cap on the thing and actually, the amount of grease was minimal. They're doing pork pretty lean these days...even the shoulder. I used that recipe posted down there somewhere with the oyster sauce and brown sugar. (figured the carbs won't kill me since most of it is in the sauce left in the clay pot!!). Cooked it for 5 hours since it was just a little one. The small held the temperature PERFECTLY. I was so proud..sniff.
  • mollyshark
    New Bob,[p]I have a large, small, and a mini. All right, I'm into excess. What can I say. But it's a good excess![p]mShark
  • mollyshark
    Qbabe's husband,[p]No name yet. You have to live with something a while before you can name it. For example, before we get married we have wonderful names for our spouses. Sweetie, honey, baby. After a couple years together, we find their TRUE names and usually refer to them that way. So I'll live with her a little bit until I find her real personality![p]mShark
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Mollyshark,
    No such thing as excess, I have Mr. Large,Mrs. Medium and baby mini. [p]Cheers,
    New Bob