Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Hind-one more time

Options
Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hindqtr.jpg
Hey folks!
I decided that I will sear(very carefully) a few small 1/2 inch cutlets for todays game. Will post results.
The rest I want to do a stew.
My question about the stew is...is it flour that makes the "stewy liquid"?
I have the rest of the hind cubed, carrots, beef broth, 1 whole sweet onion, 3 nice potatoes, and some forzen mixed vegies that I will throw in late in the cook.
So how much flour(if it is what I should use) should I add?
Thanx!
ST
PS- Brett couldnt post being that he had too much to prepare for for today's game V Bills. He said HI and wish him good luck!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When I sear chuck for pot roasts I dredge in flour and seasoning and it helps thicken the liquid. After everything is cooked I remove the solids and slowly add a mixture of flour and cold water mixed to get the consistency I want. Having the liquid boiling and constantly stirring. It will thicken as it cools.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Richard,

That's how I do stews as well. I usually mix garlic and onion powder, pepper and parsley in with the flour first. After searing the meat and vegetables deglaze with wine and you have the roux. If it needs more thickening after, I use corn, potato or rice starch just because they don't tend to lump up as much as flour.

Ateve

Steve 

Caledon, ON