Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing rubs?

ovo
ovo Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions for a rub for hot wings? Suggestions on the forum tend to be for prepared rubs, but I'd prefer to make my own. Thanks.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This works great on many things, pork, poultry, baked potatoes, fresh made tortilla chips.And many other items.

Rub, Magic Dust, "Indian River Pixie Dust", Richard Fl

Mike Mills is the only three-time Grand World Champion at the Memphis in May Barbecue Competition and owner or partner in barbecue restaurants in Illinois, New York and Las Vegas. In his James Beard Award-nominated book, Peace, Love & Barbecue (Rodale, 2005), Mills describes Magic Dust as the most popular condiment at all of his restaurants, and the most frequently stolen. He advises that it can also be used on popcorn, baked potatoes or pretty much “anything but ice cream.”

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup paprika, (Smoked Optional)
    1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground, (1/8 Cup)
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbs mustard powder, (Coleman's)
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup ground cumin
    2 Tbs ground black pepper, ("Indian River Chipotle Rainbow Pepper")
    1/4 cup granulated garlic, (Garlic Powder)
    2 Tbs cayenne, (1 TBS Cayenne, 1 TBS chipotle, ground)

Procedure:
    1 Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container. Keeps indefinitely.

Yield: 2 1/2 Cups

Recipe Type
    Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Recipe Source
    Source: Wine Magazine, 2006/06/01

2008/08/15---Richard Fl- Made the recipe with the changes as noted in parenthesis and called it "Indian River Pixie Dust"
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    That sounds wonderful. I think I'll mix up a nice batch of that today just to have on hand.