Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

getting my husband a DigiQ for Christmas

newegg
newegg Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting Rocket a DigiQ for Christmas present. Is there any thing I need to know about how to use and how to store it? I watched a video on BBQGuru and the man stores his in a waterproof case. Do I need to buy a case and where would I get one. Also any tips on using the DigiQ would be appreciated. Thanks,Rosie :unsure:

Comments

• The instructions are on the back of the unit. Fairly self explanatory(sp). I store mine when not in use, in a zip top bag in my utility room. If he tries to use it in a downpour cut some holes in a tupperware piece and let it rain. Very hard to leak past a seal on tupperware.

Clip it to the dome thermometer, and as Ron Popiel is found of say, set it, and forget it. Monitor the temps on the large display.

It's really a quality piece of equipment, enjoy.
  • I just got mine and have used it once. I roasted a chicken and tt worked great. Next cook a fresh ham tomorrow.

I store mine in an extra camera case I had. As to accessories I got the 10 CFM fan as it works on the large, medium and the small and got the doors for both the large/medium and the small. Don't believe you need much else unless you are going to use two eggs at the same time.

Once thing you need to remember is if you put the pit probe at the grate there will be a 50 to 75 degree delta with the egg thermomet.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    My finnal reason for deciding on the Digi Q and not the compeditor was simplicity. Really a now brainer once you get it and if you do have a question just ask us. Some people also put a ziplock bag over it. The unit itself is pretty water proof. The probes plug in on the bottom in a recessed area but if my Egg were in the weather I would cover the unit also in a rain.
  • Damn girl,

Why didn't you marry me when you had the chance?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hey new! It'll take a bit of practice to adjust the flew, etc, but by all means, the most cost effective addition to your egg collection!! He will be thrilled! Just plug in the temp for the pit (like an oven), put the probe in the meat and set the temp desired....It is MAGIC! We egged for years without the Guru....Trust me...it's the best investment for the egg you can make!! You and he will have to learn adjustments, but its easy! Really...GREAT investment!!
    Enjoy!
  • DSCN2301.jpg
    Zip locks work great for me!
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    I got the needed equipment for both our small and large. The people at BBQGuru were very helpful. Thanks for all of the great tips. I hope it gets here before our Christmas company arrives. Our daughter stationed in Germany (her husband is in Iraq) is coming on the 18th and bringing our precious grandson, Christian Jakob. He is about 14 months old and we can't wait to see him again. We flew over in August and got to expereince him crawling. This time I hope to see him walking and enjoying his 2nd Christmas. We went over and celebrated his first Christmas in Germany and even got to see a little snow. Take care and God bless. Rosie
  • Marry Christmas to you and your Family.