Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two prime rib questions

Sun Devil Brett
Sun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, the first I think I know but I'll ask. I had the butcher save my fat trimmings, I'm thinking about putting them back on the roast after I season for the cook. What do you think. Second I'm gonna have to cut him in half so it'll fit on the EGG. Do you think by doing that my cook time will decrease? Thanks for any insight, I'll post picts. later. Just started both larges. If it doesn't rain it should be a good night. B)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    How big of a roast did you buy and when is dinner??

Yes your cook time will decrease. Yes put the fat back on.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    cook time won't be affected, since it heats from the sides in to the middle, rather than ends in.

you'll actually have four ends, which will make more folks happy.

there ought to still be a good layer of fat covering the roast. i hope he didn't take it right down to muscle. if so, probably no need for adding the scraps back on.

if you mean that he cut off the bones and gave them back to you, you could certainly tie them back on. but little scraps? nah. they'd come off when done, and you'll have no crust where they used to be
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thanks, We got a 7 bone usda prime, just shy of 16 lbs. Dinner's at 6, we have between 70 and 80 coming :ohmy: don't know what we were thinking there. Also have three hams a dozen chicken thighs,tri-tip and if need be we'll order pizza :laugh: I think it'a about time for a cocktail B)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    How big are the hams?

Just trying to figure out if you'll have enough food.

Not really trying to argue with stike, but using his logic it will indeed cook from the sides in. Except now you have two more ends. Ends are sides too and from that direction the heat will have less mass to get to the center.

If your butcher removed the bones and fat put it back on. If it's just small pieces of fat then chuck'em.
  • The hams are the half hams you get at costco or the likes. We've got boat loads of sides coming and I've got two butterball boneless turkey breast roasts thawed out which I think I'll cook to be safe. It's a Christmas open house so hopefully late comers will have eaten :whistle: and are coming for refreshments.
  • stike
    if the distance to the center from the sides is shorter than the distance from the ends in, which will reach the center first?

this isn't a round ball of meat, in which case cutting in half would speed things up.

cut a hot dog in half across the middle. split another one lengthwise. one of these will cook faster than a regular hot dog, the other won't
  • stike
    except that we were both saying different things... ;)
  • nmsg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    now stop it! "nmsg" goes in the SUBJECT so that no one has to open the message in the first place.
    gaaaaar!

don't make me drive up there!
    here's another emoticon for you ;)
  • Ya got me there. First time for everything I guess. You alright with the ice? BTW pay all your old parking tickets. Hats off to Beantown.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    ice is ten minutes north, and then from there up another 100, 125 miles. crazy.
    father in law is staying with us. i do not know anyone in nh with power yet. both my brothers' families, parents' house, friends, nobody has power. supposed to be out for a couple days in some areas, couple WEEKS in another.

we got rain here.

we were going to go to essexco's house tonight for a soiree, but he got nailed. no power. food is all in a cooler. bad scene. was to start in fifteen minutes, too. top notch food and booze.... hafta wait til next year!
  • That happened to us a few years back. We got rain at 33* but Quebec got nailed at 30*. In some places they didn't get power back for months.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON