Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DiigQ II

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been told that santa will be delivering my DigiQ II today and I was wonderingother then for butts and briskets what fellow eggers use it for.

thanks

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Whole turkey. You could do a pork loin. Maybe a whole chicken, chuck roast.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Anything takes a few hours to cook..
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I use it for ribs especially if I have people over the Shack while I'm doing them. That way I don't have to pay any attention. Also breads that cook at higher temps for longer periods. Basicaly I just use it on longer cooks. Like today I'm doing a couple butts for Christmas gifts but since I can just walk out every hr or so and tweek I'm doing it ala natural.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ribs, baking, chili, stews, etc ... basically can be used for anything when you are either feeling lazy or plan to leave it unattended and need to keep a constant temp.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I use mine for the same things already mentioned plus smoking my homemade sausages and bolognas with it. It will hold temperatures between 120 and 200 quite nicely if your careful.

These venison bolognas require 120 degrees for an hour, 140 degrees for and hour, 160 degrees for an hour and then 180 degrees until 156 internal. I couldn't maintain those kind of temps with out the DigiQ. Mark

106-0675_IMG-1.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I just use my Guru for overnighters and jerky, where I have to maintain a low temp. -RP

jerky.jpg
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    My wife got me one of those for my birthday a few weeks ago and I haven't had a chance to use mine yet. Are the hard to set up?

Brian (technically challanged) in PA
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have been told no but won't be sure until the weekend as it will probably the first chance I get to use it.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    nope easy peesy..
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    My thanks to all. It clearlyseems that it will serve my needs nicely.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Cee-Wolf!!!!!!!!!!!! We'll see-I break out in a sweat with electronic stuff :( . Are you in a better mood today?????
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    no, but thanks for asking!!

Trust me it's easy..

]
  • SmokeRing
    Options
    It's so easy, a caveman could do it. I'm using mine for the first time today on a boston butt and it's awesome. Follow the instructions and it holds the temps right where you tell it to.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Use it for??...I use my DQ2 for any cook under 450d that takes more than 5 minutes to cook (at least the pit temp control part)..I have a 10cfm fan for my large and a 4cfm for my small and use one of them almost every day...
  • Marauder777
    Options
    Weekend Warrior, how do you build your fire to keep it as low as 120?
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Where might my wife find this amazing tool? She looking for something to give me for Christmas, and, this sounds like something I would could really use.

I have been trying to wear out the Egg for the last couple weeks. Have cooked on it everyday -
    filets, fish, shrimp, stuffed pork loins and pork chops, various kinds of cobblers, assorted chicken dishes and whatever else I can think of. This is the season she works 18 hours a day - 7 days a week. The company she works for does 95% of their yearly business from September to the middle of December. Since I cook better on the Egg than on the stove, I try to have something different everyday. I also work 8 hours a day, but, my schedule is not near a hecktik. I might add that we are both in our mid-seventies, but, wouldn't know what to do if we didn't work. We tried it and didn't like it.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I bought mine from directly from BBQ Guru. Their website is www.thebbqguru.com.

My Mother also lives in Vero. It is a great place to live however it has certainly changes since my parents retired there more then 20 years ago.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    We first moved to Vero in 1958 - left in 60 and returned in 69. We really have seen a change. In 58, we lived on the beach, and, knew everyone. Someone would have a party and everybody would show, invited or not. Fun time. Came back in 69 (to much snow up north) and still knew a lot of the people living here. Now we go out to dinner at the Grill, or other places, and don't know a soul. NOt the same. Thanks for responding.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL