Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ping celtic wolf , smoking??

Options
chefreyguy12
chefreyguy12 Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed on a few posts you mentioning that its not the white smoke from the chunks or chips you want. Its blue or clear . I am now using guava chunks and just ordered smokilious sampler. How do you achieve the proper smoke, say for ribs or pork butt. Im sure dome temp will play a roll but what is optimal temp for smoke production . thanks in advance for your knowledge. dan

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If the wood is burning it's producing smoke.

Short answer curt I know, but I am not in a real good mood at the moment.

So I apologize now..
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    i understand if you get a minute at a better time i would love to hear i little more , thanks
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Let me see if I can help you out a bit since Celtic is in a not so good place right now.

Smoking temperatures range from 160° to about 275° give or take. Most folks on the EGG smoke in the 225° to 250° range. When you first light the EGG and are stabilizing the temperature there will be some heavy white smoke coming out of it for a bit. This is normal and it will subside with a little time. When it does subside you will notice a barely visible stream of smoke coming out that has almost a blue tint to it. This is what you are looking for to put your meat on and start smoking.

Now that being said, sometimes during the cook the fire will find a piece of smoking wood and really light it up and you will notice some heavier smoke coming out. This is also normal and should also subside and turn back to blue smoke.

Heavy white smoke is not good, thin blue smoke is very good.

I hope this helps you out.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Probably not going to be a better time.

Achieving proper smoke is a matter of personal preference. To me a hint of smoke is perfect. One or two 2" or 3" chunks of whatever "flavor" wood I want is sufficient.

Experiment with your own taste buds. Start out slow. Add a chunk to each cook till you start to get "too much" smoke and then back off.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Let me see if I can help you out a bit since Celtic is in a not so good place right now.

Understatement of the year!!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Wise words there Mr Pete. :)
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • would be a better handle. Rumor has he was a nice guy at one time