Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard on Prime NY Strips?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been following the "2-minute sear/20-minute rest" steak-cooking recipe promulgated on this board. I deviate from the recipe only in not applying the prescribed "spicy brown mustard." I cannot bring myself to slather mustard on a $16.99/lb. cut of Prime New York Strip.[p]I am very pleased with the results I have been getting without the mustard....I wonder, however, if I am missing something by omitting it. What, exactly, does the mustard do for me, and will I be able to taste it after the cook? I'm reluctant to potentially ruin $35.00 worth of A+ meat fooling around when I'm damned happy with what I'm doing. On the other hand, the inquisitive part of my brain makes me wonder if it could be even better. Any scoop?? Thanks.

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    Let me first say, I'm not the end all authority on this subject. What I have learned, it came from others here. [p]First, let me say that if you are happy with what you have, keep on duplicating it. If the inquisitive side is getting you - then try it.[p]I do prefer mustard slathered all over than a real heavy coating of rub. Of course, it is a personal preference and you will hear both positives and negatives to a mustard coat.[p]If you are afraid to ruin a $17 steak ... well, it is a legitimate fear. paraphrasing a bit of advice I was given - "if you start with a less than perfect cut of meat, you will get a less than perfect steak" This will hold true if you skimp on a 5.99 steak to try the mustard rub and you will more than likely not try the mustard again.[p]I say "go ahead and try it once with the $17 dollar steak and give yourself a real comparison."[p]Just my $.02[p]Banker John

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    I have never tried mustard on an individual steak but have used it on a 4lb. 2 bone rib roast. If you really want to try it on an expensive steak, cut the steak in half and mustard one part and keep the part as you always do. Side by side comparison. Then let us know. ÜÜÜ
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Banker John, does the mustard crust and char up? Can you taste it? Please let me know. Thx.

• Banker John
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    "Does the crust char up?" Not really, actual there is less of a char than without mustard which is why I prefer it so much.[p]"Can you taste the mustard?" No, you really can't taste the mustard (at least I cannot but some may). I use the cheapest yellow mustard I can find. I use it to hold the excess of rub on on the steak.[p]It is all about preference. Try it once and let us know. Someone did have a good idea on an earlier post to cut the steak in half and do a side by side comparison.[p]Also, if you wait until 9:30 to serve it, everyone will be soo hungry that all will approve of the flavor! LOL[p]Banker John

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,[p]I've been using the spicy mustard coating on NY strips with the 20 minute rest method now for over a year and have never been displeased with the results. There is never a "mustard" taste, but I think it does add a bit of "tang," if that makes any sense. Also adds a good char-crust, depending on how you do the sear, if char is your kind of thing.[p]Anyway, did some filets this weekend and forgot to put the mustard on them, and they were delicious as well. Again, there has been a lot of talk around "what the mustard does," and I can't say that I really know for sure, but, hey, it never hurts to experiment and see what you like.[p]Good luck![p]TRex