Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst ribs ever on an egg

BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just threw away the first ribs I tried on my egg. Disclaimer: fault of the cook not the egg or seasonings.

Tough, dried out and uneatable. I've been reading everything I could on doing baby backs and tried a combination of them. Sorry Wess should have done as you told me. The technique:

Prepared ribs by removing membrane then seasoned with Dizzy Dust and that's the last thing I did right. I did this last evening and wrapped in plastic and stuck in the frig until this afternoon. Then read a posting on the forum that they shouldn't be left for more than an hour or so or they'll get mushy. Oh yeah, I cut slits between the ribs after seeing that on some web site. Hey, get sauce/seasoning on more of the meat. :S Guess it may work in an oven but NOT on an egg.

ribs1.jpg

Cooked for three hours indirect at 225-235
but didn't look like WessB's. Decided not to foil because I read on another site that foiling may contribute to mushiness. Remember these were seasoned about 16 hours before cooking.

ribs2.jpg

After 4 1/2 hours decided they were shot but finished them with homemade balsamic vinegar bbq sauce. Didn't look too bad but... couldn't be eaten.

ribs3.jpg

Moral of the story. RTFM and then follow it. Good thing I had some left over thighs from yesterday which were very good.

--Dave

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Overfoiling may contribute to mushyness. Skip the slit in between the ribs. For only two or up to three I'd cook them flat about 3 hours then foil about 30 minutes and then let them set ie firm back up for about 30 minutes before saucing. I like the sauce to set on the meat about 10 minutes.

Better luck next time. Everyone cooks a clunker from time to time. Getting ready to put on 6 slabs right now for an auction at church tomorrow.

H
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Sorry you had to go through that. It's always kind of humbling when that happens. At least you know that your next batch will be an improvement. :) Nothing's perfect all the time. Hang in there!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    you didn't cook them long enough.

Next time try the 3-1-1 method.

# hours in the smoke, 1 hour in foil and up to one hour back in the smoke.

Rub them up 2 or 3 hours before you want to start cooking them. During the foil stage add some parkay and honey. Dour the final hour keep an eye on them. You can start saucing them during this stage.

They are done when you can stick them with a toothpick and the toothpick comes out easily. One other test is to pick them up by tongs along the bones. If the the rack bend 90% they are done.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    We all learn from our mistakes.Doesn't sound like you're gonna give up that easy :whistle: :woohoo:
  • The pictures don't look all that bad, even the end picture.

You description of preparation and seasoning sounds fine.

I do reseason lightly when they are waiting to be cooked that long, which I think is a great method.

I stopped using the V rack and lay flat bone down for the cook.

Time for me at that temp is about 3 to 4 hours. The 'bend' test doesn't seem to ever work for me, but I watch for meat pull back on the bone - about a quarter of an inch is what I look for. Or I till thermopen the meat between the bone. I am looking for temperature as well as tenderness.

Some times I will pull some meat and eat it to see if it is where I like it. I have a hard time knowing when done really is with ribs.

From the looks it seems like they still should have been OK.

Before seasoning I use mustard on the meat. But that doesn't affect the taste.

Sorry to hear the results.

GG
  • "Sparky" wrote:
    We all learn from our mistakes.Doesn't sound like you're gonna give up that easy :whistle: :woohoo:

Nope! Back to the store tomorrow for more ribs and a couple of butts. :)

--Dave
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    WAHOO!!!Listen to the wolf.The 3/1/1 method is my favorite,since my wife likes them too :woohoo: Just rub them an hour or two before cooking and enjoy :cheer: ;)
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Sounds to me like you did not cook them long enough. I never foil my ribs and usually cook at 250 for about 5 hours. I sauce them after 4.5 hours. The bend test seems to work for me (pick up the rack with tongs in the middle and if it starts to break then they are done). I would not put slits in the ribs just because I want the juice in the rib not in the drip pan. Be sure that your temp gauge is correct then shoot for 5 hours at 250 and resist the urge to cook for a shorter time. I bet they will be the best you've ever had!
  • I would have put the meaty side of the ribs up.
  • That is a shame, you had some really nice looking ribs. You have gotten good advice. Don't know what other websites you are looking at, but the best advice I can give is. Don't stray to far from this one. A lot of very talented people here.

Mike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    Kent, you said "I have a hard time knowing when done really is with ribs". For kicks and giggles for some time now besides the bending test I probe the meat with my trusty Thermapen. I read here years ago that the temp between the ribs should be about 196 and guess what? Those meeting that temp are consistently my best!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Remember that the dome temp is 25/30 degrees higher then the grid temp. I usually keep the temp at 450 for the cook. I cook indirect for 5 to 6 hours till the meat shrink back. I agree with RRP that a good temp is 195 to 200 between the ribs. Good luck on your next cook. Tom BabybackcookMarch4.jpgBabybackcookMarch5.jpgBabybackcookMarch3.jpg
  • LOL! I can relate. 3rd batch was nasty, because I got creative. With ribs, simple is better.
    What exactly, was the problem with the finished ribs? Too dry? tough? mushy? flavor issues?

Hang in- you will get better. And what a chance to learn from mistakes! You have access to some great rib help here, so take advantage of the suggestions.
  • Celtic Wolf
    When you buy them make sure they are NOT "Enhanced"

If you have a Sam's/BJ's/Costco Membership get them there. If you don't WHY NOT??? :woohoo:
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Is that a typo?? Did you really mean 450 degrees?
  • They came from BJ's. Three in a pack. I'll have to check tomorrow on the 'enhanced'.

They were very dry which may have come from too long in the seasoning and slits I cut into them. Dizzy Dust lists salt pretty far down the list of ingredients so they may not be drying out too much from the seasoning.

I have another I seasoned, vacuum sealed and froze. Any hope for them? At least I didn't cut the slits.

--Dave
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Don't beat yourself up, we've all tanked on cooks. I would tend to agree with wolf, that they weren't cooked long enough. I've done that more times than I care to admit, but they don't look like they shrunk down the bone enough. -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Did you let them sit for any length of time in the refrigerator before you froze them?

If not, thaw them out in water as quickly as possible.

Once the meat is frozen the spices will pretty much stop penetrating the meat.

BJ's Ribs are not enhanced. Still think most of your problem was the length of time you cook the ribs. If you cooked them longer I think they would have been better.

Also spritz them with Apple Juice every 30 minutes or so while they are in the 3 hour smoke stage.
  • I cooked them for 4 1/2 hours then sauced over another 1/2 about. You're right they didn't pull back much at all. I'll be checking the temps from now on until I get the 'feel'.

I did just check the dome thermometer and it was reading about 10 degrees low.

I have a Redi Check and had the pit probe down the daisy wheel a few inches and it was reading about 300 when the dome was reading 250. Was just using it to monitor for temp changes not cooking temps. Any thoughts? Good, bad, waste of batteries??

--Dave
  • Celtic Wolf
    Go to Radio Shaft and look in their parts section for the little solder on Alligator clips.

Gently bend the solder end around the pit probe. Now you can clip the pit probe to the stem of the dome thermometer.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    10 degrees won't make or break anything, but I usually go five hours on BBs, they are a lot thicker than they used to be. One other possibility is crappy meat, sometimes you do everything right but you just got bad meat. -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    The 3-2-1 probably will work better with Baby Backs.

I still prefer Spares..
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Typo 250 is the temp. Thanks for seeing the error. tom
  • have some of the clips on hand already. I'll make one up tomorrow.

Going for spares next. Well right after butts. Pulled pork has got to be my favorite and one of major reasons for getting an egg. Going to bake some no-knead bread tomorrow. Switched out the phenolic knob with a stainless steel kitchen drawer pull in order to use a Lodge dutch oven at 500.

--Dave
  • Celtic Wolf
    Whatcha need to have the DO up to 500 for?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    One other clip option is to either rig up a post to clip your probe to, or a clip on a post that will accept your probe. This way you can monitor the actual cooking temp.

8cd110c9.jpg

DSC04390a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Well, it looks like we've covered all the bases on the possible problems. I can't help to think that the 16 hours contributed to the outcome.

Take a looksee at the two baby back recipes in the PORK section on my site. The Car Wash Mike method takes about 5-1/2 hours and does not use foil. It calls for a 250° temp and gets a sauced finish. Very traditional and makes wonderful ribs.

The EZBB ribs only take about 3-1/2 hours of cooking, but at higher temps, plus some resting. This method uses a foil finish and the ribs have a light stickiness to them. They are sauced, if needed, at the table. The time in the foil can be varied to give you the exact tenderness you want.

In short, two very different methods, both produce end results that are very good.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Also spritz them with Apple Juice every 30 minutes or so while they are in the 3 hour smoke stage.
    CW, I have a dumb question, do you open the lid to spritz, or can you just remove the daisies and spray through the hole(to minimise heat loss)?
    canuckland
  • Yup, pretty much beat to death. Will follow advice to a tee next time.

Thanks for the suggestions on the temp probe.

No-knead bread starts out at 500 then drops to 425 to complete. Lodge knobs are only good for 350.

I've done this in my oven and am hoping it works in the egg. Supposed to drop temp to 425 after pre-heating the dutch oven. Don't know if the egg will drop fast enough but am going to try.

--Dave
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    in the last picture, looks like you coated the top with brown sugar?
    canuckland