Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebricks in Australia?

Gwei-lo
Gwei-lo Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have any Aussie Eggers had much luck locating those 1/2 size firebricks in Sydney? Thanks for any help :) BTW, I wonder how many Aussie Eggers there actually are on this forum!

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Gwei-lo,[p]You are the only Aussie that I am aware of on this forum.... welcome from the opposite side of the planet![p]How long have you had the bge, how did you acquire it, and what's your favorite meal to grill and bbq?[p]Large beers!
    John

• WooDoggies,[p]I've had my large BGE for almost a month, but I've only been able to use it once, due to all these bushfires we've been having. I got it from Barbeques Galore, which is apparently the only distributors of the BGE in Australia. My first cook was a couple of chicken breasts with some rub, using several handfuls of apple wood chips. Didn't turn out as well as I'd though - no smoke flavour, tasted just like it does when I cook the same dish in the oven. Also a bit dry. Looks like I need a bit more practise! Unfortunately, now is the perfect time to get some practise in, but I've just had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted, and all I can eat is soup :( I'm having some serious cravings for meat!!
  • WooDoggies
    Gwei-lo,[p]Ouch! Might be time to puree some steaks to pull through a straw. Mmmmmmmmm.... steakshakes.[p]3 years ago I had my tonsils removed and I couldn't eat anything solid for 10 days. The only thing that got me through it all was reading cookbooks. Still I lost 12 pounds while the bge stood idle.[p]You may want to try marinating the chicken.... breasts cook quickly and dry out fast as well.
    I'm perplexed as to why your chicken didn't take any of the smoke... when did you add the chips? The lump alone should have added some flavor. Dunno.[p]I wish you a speedy recovery so you can get to practicing on the egg and onto some real red meat. :~)
    Again, welcome to the forum.... this place is a great resource to answer your questions![p]John[p]
    [p][p]

• WooDoggies,[p]I can't help pulling out my cookbooks, even though I know I won't be able to eat anything from them! I keep checking out the pics in Raichlen's How To Grill, and reading the recipes in Smoke And Spice, sitting there drooling with swollen cheeks :) Hope I don't lose as much weight as you did![p]I cooked the chicken breasts for about 50 minutes with dome temp of about 350F - I also had an oven thermometer sitting on the grill, with a reading of about 220F, but I don't know if that sounds right or not. In retrospect, I think it was foolish to throw in a handful of woodchips with the grill already in place :) I threw in a second handful about halfway through the cook, but I didn't remove the chicken so I threw it in with the grill in place again. Next time I'm going to add several handfuls of chips before I put the grill on, and I'm gonna make sure the chips actually land on the burning lump! The next thing I wanna do is get some ground chuck and smoke some burgers :) Thanks for your help!
  • WooDoggies
    Gwei-lo,

350 F dome temp and 220 F on the grate level sounds amiss. One of your thermometers might be way off. With all of this extra time on your hands, try checking them in boiling water to see how accurate they are... they should read 212 F. If it is off, the bge thermometer can be adjusted by the little hex nut on back.[p]Sounds, too, that you might be cooking the chicken breasts too long at that temp. 10-15 minutes per side should be enough. An instant read thermometer will help... consider pulling them off at 160 internal.... they will start to dry out after 170 internal or so.[p]Wood chips are gonna burn up really fast at higher grilling temps so you may want to lower the cooking temp with the chips to 275 or so, or try wood chunks.[p]Off to work!
    John[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Gwei-lo, Haven't seen Frans' name around here lately, but here is his profile here. I don't know if it's up do date or not. Maybe give a holler if you wish to connect.
    Bob

[ul][li]Frans in Australia[/ul]
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Painter, Sorry, just click on Frans in Australia.

• Painter,[p]Thanks mate. I actually tried to contact Frans for advice before I decided to buy a BGE, but I never heard back from him. Oh well :)