Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks Illustrated revisited!

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just recieved my May/June issue and one of the highlights is a review of different cuts of steaks, and ranked for flavor and tenderness. Worth the shelf price alone. Also a article on peppercorns that will intrique your interest. And a few other plus's. Those of ya that don't subscribe but hand pick your issues, and are steak lovers, this is one to add to your collection..I get no bucks for this posting :-) Not even a discount! Nor even a answer to e.mails to them. Sigh!
C~W

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Char-Woody,
    Man, you must have connections!! You always get your issue weeks before I do. Maybe not a discount, but priority mailing!![p]I just received my "The Best Recipe" book, put out by CI, and it is very good. Just looking now at the four rubs/pastes they have for chicken parts. The Garam Marsala looks great, and I have been looking for a way to use those Cardamom pods from Penzey's that smell so wonderful.[p]Also an interesting "Citrus and Cilantro Paste".[p]Of course they suggest brining your chicken pieces first. I need to do that more.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nature Boy, Do you suppose they took me sabotage threats seriously?? Must be the chronological order of the mailings and my closeness to the home office.
    Thats the problem with a arm full of subscriptions..I have back issues of Taste of Home that have gone untouched. Sad to say. Too much tinker and outside work.
    Just finished a super pizza on my freshly mended "Tri-Stone" and it came out super..I used everything at hand. Canned mushroom's, two different packages of shredded cheese leftovers, canned sliced black olives, chopped green pepper, two left over pizza sauces, and put a sprinkle of blue cheese crumb's blended with the other cheeses. Found some beef summer sausage my wiffy had hidden and it went on for the meat. I used only the "tri stone" and nothing else. Did the pizza at 450 degrees and no higher. controlled the heat with the solid ceramic top. Took 20 minutes for a nice crispy even browness of the dough. So hot it was hard to eat for 10 minutes...wow...It was good..Would even have been better with canadian bacon or sausage. That Blue cheese done lightly gives a off cheese taste that is nice and different.
    Washed it all down with Asahi Japanese dry beer...Good stuff.
    The rebuilt "Tri-Stone" worked fine. The cement that I stuck it together with is rated to 2700 degrees F.[p]Cheers...C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Char-Woody,
    Your pizza sounds awesome. I bet that Asahi Dry Beer went perfectly with the egged za.[p]You must have put in a good word for me, as I just received my new Cooks Illustrated mag. Yeeeee Ha![p]I did Salmon on junior tonight. I used Mary's Ginger/Soy marinade, and added some turbinado sugar since we like salmon on the sweet side. 10-15 a side at 300, and it was nice and crusted, but not overcooked. Brainfood at its best.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]"I bet that Asahi Dry Beer went perfectly with the egged za."[p]Now repeat that sentence ten times fast while eating a smoked rib.[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Char-Woody,[p]Sounds WONDERFUL!!! I often attempt to post the sound that Homer Simpson makes when he throws his head back and his tounge hangs out of his mouth and he drools over some desirable food. Something like, "aaaaaarrrrgglllahhhhhhhhha." Since this sound especially applies here, I'll post a link to this wav file of the sound of Homer drooling over CW's meal[p]Sorry if this is too off topic. I was hoping maybe we can adopt this as a sort of standard reply to stories of amazing BGE meals.[p]Cornfed