Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks on the Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To the experienced ones![p]What is the best steak to cook and what marinade and method?[p]I have done LARGE T-bones using the 750 degree method with a Mustard Rub and it was OK....[p]Any suggestions. I am open to any cuts, Filets, etc...

Comments

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    LittlebadK,
    I've done just about every cut, seared and dwelled as you have, all with outstanding results. The best result that I have gotten is a quick rubdown with high quality olive oil and a generous amount of kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper. At times I use Montreal Steak Seasoning for a less flavorful cut of meat. What I plan to try this weekend is a method highly recommended on this board; sear and then rest the meat at room temperature for 20 minutes while the Egg cools to 400 and then finish to your desired doneness at 400.

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    LittlebadK,[p]We have beat this topic up over the years here. I still use the olive oil, favoirte seasonings, plastic wrap, and 7 days in the frige method. I don't remember who first started this years ago, but I became a believer after trying this method. I usually go for ribeyes....hope this helps.

• Kip,[p]Wow that sounds interesting? What is your favorite cut? How long do you sear 3 min each side? Montreal is good...[p]Have yout tried the sear and then shut down for 5 min, etc.. until done?[p]Greg

• bigarms,[p]Seven days in the fridge? Salt and Pepper? or more?[p]Greg
  • Kip,[p]Do you normally use any wood? or just the lump?[p]Greg
  • Kip
    LittlebadK,
    I used to use wood, especially mesquite and hickory, but found that it overpowered the flavor of the meat. If you don't actually use kosher salt, give it a try. It makes all of the difference in the world.[p]My favorite cut is boneless prime rib. Absolute killer. But for the four of us, it is usually between NY Strip and Filet. If I can find ribeyes that are well marbled without being 50% fat, then they are a treat. But even a well marinaded london broil using some of the recipes on this forum....[p]My neighbors are pretty tough critics. Zero complaints from them or the family so far. Not so with the old gasser.[p]And yes I have used sear and immediate dwell. It completely depends on the thickness of the meat and it takes practice because digital thermometers are useless at that high heat. (I burned up four before I grudgingly read the directions.)

• bigarms
    LittlebadK,[p]We have beat this topic up over the years here. I still use the olive oil, favoirte seasonings, plastic wrap, and 7 days in the frige method. I don't remember who first started this years ago, but I became a believer after trying this method. I usually go for ribeyes....hope this helps.

• Kip,[p]Hmmm, boneless prime rib? I may have to give that a try this weekend. I may try the sear and 20 min. routine also.[p]Thank you for the info. it is helpful....[p]Greg

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    bigarms,[p]You leave the steak in the fridge for 7 days, right? If you've got that kind of time, why wouldn't you just go ahead and dry age it?[p]Intriguing. I'd like to hear more about this method.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Kip:[p]I just want to echo your comments about the oil/salt/pepper and the Montreal seasoning. Those two methods are highly favored by The Princess.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    SSDawg:[p]Some crushed garlic in the oil is nice. I have marinated the steaks in oil and garlic for as long as four days and they were good. I would not add any seasoning with salt in it until an hour or so prior to the cook. Salt draws moisture out of the meat. Just another interesting steak technique . . .
    [/b]
  • bigarms
    SSDawg,[p]Yes, time is the only problem with this recipe, but it is worth the wait. I didn't come up with this method, and maybe someone will chime in and follow up. I just season, olive oil, fresh garlic, kosher salt and black pepper. Wrap in saran wrap tightly, and put in frige. It seems to make the steak fall apart tender.

• bigarms, that method is attributed to Dr Chicken who used to post here. After telling about the method he learned as a kid working in a Calif steakhouse. A poster named Sprinter who pops up from time to time and I both haved tried the method and like it too. The naysayers will try yo talk you out of it, but the method works! ^oo^~

• Kip
    LittlebadK,
    And it has been said a thousand times and you undoubtedly don't need to be reminded......Don't forget to burp the Egg!

• Kip, I agree with this method too - both the 7 day and this one which was told to us by TRex. The method I use just depends on how far in advance I plan to fix steaks.

• Kip,[p]Since I am new to this, I will bite. I assume you mean let a little air in before opening with the top and bottom closed?[p]Greg

• bigarms
    one feral kat ,[p]Thanks, and I am a believer. Best steak that I have ever ate, and have gotten raves when cooking for others.[p]
  • bigarms,[p]I am cookig for some folks on Sat. night. Do you think 3 days is enough if I try this method or save it for when I have 7 days?[p]Greg

• bigarms
    littlebadk,[p]mmmmmmmm......worth a try. I have pulled them at 5 days with good results. I may depend on the cut of steak in this case. I usually cook ribeyes and they seem to do fine. If you are cooking filet, then it may take less time. I tried this for the first time with a steak that I was going to feed to the dog because it was too tough. After 7 days in the frige, I cooked it and it fell apart before I could get it off the egg.....never went back to regular steaks after that eggperience

• bigarms,[p]I'm droolin'' I'm going to buy Filet's today![p]Greg
  • bigarms,[p]One more thing. How do you usually cook these? Do you use the Sear and Dwell? or just normal?[p]Greg

• bigarms
    littlebadk,[p]Me too, all this talk has got me wanting steaks... One thing you might consider is doing a trial with different methods. Try a steak with the 7 day and one with marinating the day of and compare. I do this often with different recipe for meat, ...chicken, porkchops..ect. when I am using the same temps on the egg. [p]This steak recipe is a keeper and the only way my son and I will eat them now.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    bigarms,
    I agree, I did that resonantly with some filets, olive oil and some Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub, wrapped in saran, and the set about 4 or 5 days in the fridge. I cook them on the medium at about 550° on the grill extender, they cut like butter and were super tender.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• bigarms,[p]What temp do you usually cook them at? Do you Sear them?[p]Greg
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    bigarms,[p]Thanks. I'm headed to the store in a few, and I think I'll pick up a couple extra steaks for the weekend. I may only be able to do 4 or 5 days, but I'll get it done.
  • SSDawg,[p]I'm with you!![p]Greg

• bigarms
    littlebadk,[p]I would have to go with NewBob, @ 500 to 600 and 3min per side. I don't do "dwell in the shell" because I like mine a little bloody. 3 minutes is perfect for me....man this has me hungry.

• littlebadk,
    Yup. That's what he's talking about.[p]For my money, nothing beats a nice, thick ribeye. I marinate mine in a combination of worchester and soy sauce with a tad bit of garlic.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Kip
    littlebadk,
    Sorry, yes. Open the top 1-2 inches first. Then slowly open the bottom draft and wait a few seconds. If you watch the top of the Egg it will look like a scene from "Backdraft". If you don't "burp the Egg" and open the dome directly, you'll be IN a scene from backdraft. In a way it is initiation by fire. But for those of us that have been initiated, better to heed the advice![p]Kip

• rose
    rose Posts: 37
    one feral kat,
    Can you leave steaks for 7 days and them not go bad???
    I guess I must live under a rock or something cause I've never heard this one. can you give me the directions on this I would like to try it.[p]