Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic ham

Options
Charlie
Charlie Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions on how to cook a picnic ham? I was planning on cooking at about 250, is that good? Any ideas as to the final meat temperature and approximate time per pound?[p]Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Charlie,[p]If you have a cured picnic, cook it just like any "real" ham. If it's uncured (sometimes called "fresh"), trim off the skin and do it like a butt.
    Ken

• Charlie,
    I have done picnic ham (cured) four times. Each time i tried leaving on the egg a little longer. Started the first time about 4 hours. Then 5,6,and finally 7 hours. All at 250°. Really didn't notice much difference between them, except the 7 hour ham was drier than the others. Always pulled the rind off and score and glaze the fat cap for the last hour. While they were all pretty good, I never seemed to get these kind of hams to take much smoke. My conclusion is that it doesn't make much difference how long you let them smoke/cook. The kicker is what kind of glaze you like. I use pineapple juice with dark brown sugar. If anyone has a WOW type ham glaze idea, let me know. Thanks.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    shiek,
    Contact Dr. Chicken. He has a ham recipe that will make you say WOW.[p]~nikki