Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fruitcake Cupcakes

Options
Gandy Dancer
Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0024.jpg

They are great for this time of the year and easy to make.
IMG_0027.jpg

Leo
Williston, FL

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i thought you were calling me names.

those look great. i have not yet had TRUE homemade fruitcake. from what i hear, it's great. but all the warnings about fruitcake have me gun shy.

those would be the perfect size, i would think. no giant loaf of fruitcake to intimidate. just a couple of those and a cup of coffee.

is it just a traditional fruitcake recipe in a cupcake size?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Nope, I promised that I would be nice. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We have a small Co-op in Belfast, the town next door to the studio and there is a lady that used to do the most heavenly fruitcakes. it was 12.00 for just a small mini loaf but worth every single penny. they were all topped with a beautiful dried pear. and perfectly rum soaked. I would love to find them again..... Stike if you get a chance to try a real honest to goodness home made one that is moist and fruity DO IT!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Those look fantastic. Mind sharing the recipe?
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    Just put recipe in cook book under Christmas Goodies. My Mother would cook these each year at this time. It was her recipe.

Leo
    Williston, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    love fruit cake, might make those this weekend. have no clue why some dont like the stuff, i look forward to it every year.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    i have never had it (Fresh, homemade) other than once i think, truthfully. i think it gets a bad rap, and so no one i know goes near it. there's none around.

alton brown did a piece on it once, and lamented the curse put on fruitcake... it's a running gag.

i remember it was pretty involved. soaking dried fruit, blanching almonds, etc. Is it a lot of work?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ive never made it, but we used to get some here at the shop everyyear from one of our suppliers, enough for morning break for a few weeks for the whole shop. penzeys one mag has the cup cake recipe that looks similar, not hard to make just a lot of ingrediants, ill send it to you later if you want, its at home right now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    cool. send it along.
    i did indian pudding this thanksgiving, and no one would eat it. my father is in florida. he and i were the only ones that ate that stuff.

maybe for christmas i'll try the fruitcake.