Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Attempting my first Boston butt cook on the Egg tomorrow;. Several of the sites I've visited indicate that you need to smoke a Boston butt 18-20 hours. Others have said that it depends on the weight; i.e., you should smoke a butt 2 hours for every pound. The butt we bought is only 5 pounds; therefore, I was figuring that 10 hours should do it, according to the second method. Is this correct? If not, I need to get up a whole lot earlier tomorrow A.M. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Jerr,
    I have done 4 lb. butts and 7 lb. butts and it seems like they always take about 18 to 20 hours.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Jerr,
    Go buy a meat thermometer, or better yet a Polder. Best money you will ever spend. Cook the butt to 200 internal whether it takes 10 hours or 20 hours. With a 5 pounder you should be in for 8 to 10 hours tops at 250-275.
    Mark

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Jerr,[p]You're on the mark at a cooking time of about 2 hours per pound at between 225-250°. But give yourself a little leeway of an extra hour or two just in case. You never know. If you have to pull it early just wrap it in foil and dishtowels and put in the smallest cooler you have. 4 pounders are about all I do since there's just two of us.[p]Mark is also correct -- get yourself a polder style meat thermometer.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Jerr,[p]Egg 250 degrees, meat internal temp. 200. Cook indirect. Time varies with each cut of meat. Should be ready in 8 to 12 hours........Good luck![p]
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Options
    Kelvin,
    I just got an Egg. How in the world can you keep the temp at that level for 18-20 hours. It just doesn't seem possible

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Ray,[p]Once you get the hang of waht air flow is all about it quite easy. Each Egger has his or her own way of controlling temps. I haven'tused a Daisy wheel for a couple of years nowalthough I do use MickeyT's rings. I cook with nothing on the top and the lower vent is my adjustment system. LOts of people shoot to try to maintain 200º during a cook. It's easier for some reason to maintain 250º for long periods with the same results. Keep checking in, you'll find out all of the little tricks pretty quick. Eggers are a strange bunch! ;>)