Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Times/Temps Question

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks![p]I'm still learning the in's and out's of cooking with my BGE, so I thought I ask the "eggsperts." Here's my dilemma...my cooking times/temps always need "bumping-up" (i.e., higher temps and longer cooking times) from what the BGE recipes recommend (despite having a large BGE, using a BGE temp-gauge, daisy wheel, and BGE charcoal). What am I doing wrong?[p]Let me give you a couple of examples: My wife and I cook 1.5" thick filet mignons at 450-degrees for 1 hour to get them medium well (slightly pink in the center). I just cooked a 7.5 lb. Perdue Oven Roaster chicken for four hours at 450-degrees, yet the core temp (as measured by a remote core temp indicator purchased from my local BGE dealer BBQ store) only reached 160-degrees (still 20-degrees below what temp is suggested for poultry). By the way, I always set the chicken on a sitter, which is placed in a drip-pan - both purchased from BGE direct. Both the bird and the steaks are fully defrosted when I place them on the grill.[p]I'd like to try a turkey on my BGE one day, but I'm afraid I don't have 22 hours to cook one! What am I missing? Your insight would be greatly appreciated![p]Ray

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Ray,
    Have you calibrated the dome thermometer? From your examples it would appear that the thermometer is off. Put it in boiling water and see what it says.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Ray,
    One hour filets, wow. I do mine at about 550° direct, about 3min. per side and a dwell of about 4 to 6 min. depending on how you like the center. Mine are a little red in the center but everyone seems to rave about em. I usually rub em with a little olive oil and some Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub, wrap them in saran wrap and leave em sit 4 days in the fridge, they cut like soft butter. If you raise your temps,watch out for the flashback.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    FAQ_do3.jpg
    <p />Ray, either calibrate or get a new thermometer! [p][p]
    [ul][li]Calibrating the Dome Thermometer[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Ray,
    One additional point in calibrating the thermometer. If you look closely on the dial, there is a mark at 212 for boiling water. Adjust it accordingly and you should be fine.
    Let's us know if you've already done this and are still having problems. Good cooking!

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Options
    Looks like you folks were dead on the money...the thermo was off about 150-degrees - "450" was really 300! Can't wait to try those filets now![p]Thanks again!!![p]Ray