Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table help

K'Hawk
K'Hawk Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the process of making a dual egg table (large and small) it 36X72 steel framed table. I am trying to determine what to do about the top. I thought about Red Wood around the eggs and a 23X34 work area between the eggs. I was thniking granite but at $255 a little (I mean a lot) to expensive. Does anyone have any other thoughts?[p]My second thought was covering with tile, and I was wondering how others were tileing the top and accounting for the moisture. Concrete board?

Comments

• egg-1.jpg
    <p />KHawk,[p]We just had our egg table covered in tile. It's easy to clean and take care of. I think the green and black tiles make it look rich also.
    [ul][li]Tiled egg[/ul]
  • KHawk,
    I built my table out of cedar and thought the cedar top would hold up well in the Texas sun if I put a lot of spar urethane with UV protection on it. Worked for a couple of weeks and started coming off or discoloring or generally looking bad. So my next choice was to cover it with ceramic tile. I used concrete backer boards on top of the cedar then applied the tile. So far it is working very well. A couple of people have mentioned using granite and it got me to thinking I might do that on my next table. If I do anything else I will definitely make the hole for the Egg so that it fits snuggly under the lip of the bottom half of the Egg. Then I will probably add some fireplace gasket or something to keep the rain water from getting into my lower storage area. I understand you can't do that with the new spring assist bands so I may have to re-invent my own version in order to keep the hinge part above the tope of the table. Lots to think about but the tile is a good choice if you can't afford the granite. Good luck.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    KHawk,
    Another idea is to make a regular table and have a metal fabricator place fit it with a stainless steel top (I have also seen a partial stainless steel top). Easy to clean and on real sunny day it doubles as a suntan aid. A shop here in Sioux City, IA charges about $200.00 for a single BGE table top.
    Julie

• table5-e.jpg
    <p />KHawk, Used tile on mine for the same reason. This is my first winter with the table. So far so good. Took it from 15°To 750°++ last week. No signs of cracks as of yet. I used 2 ¾" pieces of marine plywood and ¼" wonderboard laminated together with epoxy and screws. Used Thinset mixed with latex. Mounted the top so it can float on top of the cabinet. Post us some pictures so we can see it come together. S-N-M!

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    KHawk,
    Heres a link on how we did ours.Ours has held up just fine in the heat, snow and ice. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Our Egg[/ul]
  • KHawk, brother made me a table for Christmas came out great i have a tiled work space area the rest is stained lumber wish i had a digital cam to show as it came out great!

• Julie, hope you had some good holidays back there. I forgot to ask my Mom if she ever made it out to see ya.[p]I also need to make a table - or two. Have two large ones to make a permanant home for. I have seen pics of stainless steel used. Don't think that would work out here: in the sun it would flat out blind ya, in the shade it would still probably be too hot to touch![p]Yet another spring project. By the way, the weather here is absolutely terrible. Sunny. 69 today, 70 later this week. I know, "shut up!"[p]LVM

• Spring Chicken,
    If you are to use a natural/synthetic stone top like Granite, quartz, Kodiaq, Corian, etc, DO NOT have a whole cut for the egg and place the egg in the whole.[p]Only have a workspace made out of the stone top and finish the egg holding area out of wood as usual.[p]If there is any moisture at all that seeps into the stone/synthetic and then have the expansion/contraction from the heat of the egg, you will get a crack just like we hear about in the fireboxes of the egg. Only difference is that the top will be ruined... And at $225 for a top, that is an expensive lesson.[p]Fortunately for me, a close friend is a cabinet maker (kitchen & bath) and when my first table top cracked, he laughed then made another one for me, this time with no whole.[p]Expensive lesson![p]Banker John

• Banker John,
    Good point.[p]Spring Chicken

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    LasVegasMac,
    Your mom and brother came to see me twice. My supplier sent me the wrong plate setter so they had to bring it back. Of course the other box was wrong, too. I chewed out my supplier and finally got the right one and I delivered it to them on the 20th.
    As far as the stainless steel top, yes, it can blind you with the glare, but it also helps to excel the tanning process if you are in the right glare spot.
    Weather is going to be 40 degrees today. Received about an inch of snow and ice yesterday. I don't mind the snow if the windchill wouldn't be 20 below zero. A good old-fashioned blizzard is suppose to be here Sunday. We'll see.
    Julie

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    wardeggs.jpg
    <p />Banker John,
    I have had my mini egg in a table made out Corian for three years and works great.The sides of the egg touch the Corian and I have had it up to 1100° with no problems.You are probaly right about the other materals.
    Larry

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    YB,
    Is the mini sitting on a stone or directly on the corian.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• YB
    New Bob,
    It sits on three little green feet that came with one of the other eggs,the little feet sit on the Corian.
    Larry

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    YB, I noticed that your thermometers set off from the dome (on mini and I think, a large in the background) What does this do and what is used for spacing?
    Also, I've never seen a mini before at my distributor's store. Wow! 1,100 degrees!!! Since I'm not familiar with this particular grill, what are its advantages over the med. egg I bought? What is its primary use? What do they cost? I'm now interested in buying one for camping purposes. Mac

• YB
    Mac in NC ,
    The spacer is a 3/4" copper coupling painted black with a fishing cork in it.I drilled a hole in the cork for the temp gauge.The coupling keeps the probe further from the food.I use my mini to take to the lake and to tailgate at ball games.The mini does a wonderful job when you learn to cook on it.I can cook for four people on the mini at one time.
    Larry