Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib membrane removal-cold temp problem?

Options
ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I grabbed four racks of baby backs at Costco on my way home from work. I wanted to get the membranes pulled off and the mustard and rub on before some guests arrived and let them take up the flavors over night.

I tried pulling the membranes off and had no success except rib by rib.

I suspect my problem is that they are cold and need to come to room temperature.

Am I on the right track, or do I have another problem? Thanks everyone, Erik

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    temp isn't the issue.

next time grab them with a paper towel and pull slowly..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks CW, the temp non issue is interesting to know.

GG
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    the paper towel works great, it gives you grip on a very slippery membrane. If you are real lucky & start right at the middle rib by slipping a butter knife under it & then working your finger in there, you can pull the whole thing straight up & off & the slipperiness isn't an issue:

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Sometimes ribs I buy at Costco have the membrane removed already. Perhaps you have some of those?
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Slow and easy to remove the membrane.If you try to rush it you will have tear issues that will get you frustrated.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    When I compete my ribs go from the cooler to the table. They are prepped immediately.

Grab the membrane with a paper towel and pull slowly. Sometimes they break but most times they come right off.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    first time I did ribs I spent 45 minutes cursing & trying to remove a membrane that turned out to not be there, that is one lesson you don't need to learn twice :unsure:
    happy in the hut
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Ever since AZRP posted the tip of starting in the middle and working your fingers in from the sides I've been doing it that way. No paper towels, no pliers, no fighting and it's off in a giffy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ewillie
    Options
    I guess I should have pointed out that I did this with great success just a couple of weekends ago, using many of the tips I learned here, getting almost all of them off in one piece.

There is clearly membrane present, but when I get the spoon in under them backwards, and my two fingers under them, they are ripping and fiercely sticking to the bone, and not coming off at all, except one bone to the next.

Not sure why I'm having such a different experience than my recent successful removal.

I appreciate the tips, however.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    were the ribs injected ones? Though I avoid them if I can the injected ribs I get have the membrane fiercely punctured with many holes. I wonder if between the injected chemical and the weakened membrane could that be the reason they are tearing off in pieces.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Are you sure you weren't a Proctologist in a former life? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip
    Options
    when the beers start flow'n just make sure there are no rubber gloves around or you may find out the hard way :lol: :laugh: :woohoo:
    happy in the hut
  • bubba tim
    Options
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    If there is a membrane and it comes off that easily it shouldn't be tough to eat. I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you have some very nice ribs. Costco has very good ribs in my opinion. If you cook them 3-2-1 the worst that can happen is the meat falls off the bone and the membrane holds them together.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    you never replied to my email
    happy in the hut
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yeah. there are two membranes. one is the membrane along the ribs, another is the sheath around each rib. the outer one comes off easily. the other one is there to stay, and goes under the meat that is between each rib.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 117
    Options
    I had the same problem with some ribs from Costco. After a closer inspection...I think the membrane was already removed. Costco told me that 1% of the time they get their ribs with the membranes already removed.I was trying to pull off the very thin film that remains after you have already pulled the membrane.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chris,

Good call. I think you are and Fidel are right. This happens often. Not sure if I have ever had 4 out of 4 with no membrane, but I have seen 2 out of 4 a lot.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Sorry, about that. I must have missed your email. When did you send it? I will check my R bin. :huh:
  • ewillie
    Options
    I think you guys are right, what was left was very thin and would not pull, so I think the larger membrane was already removed.

I rubbed them down with mustard and used Dizzy Dust on two racks and JH Pecan Rub on two.

An old friend of mine is stopping by on his way home from Thanksgiving, so I'm hoping to have the ribs done by about 7:00 this evening.

Thanks as always for the advice. Erik