Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Build up of Crud on inside of lid.

Options
George T.
George T. Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed that the inside of my egg lid has some heavy crustation/grease stuff on it. Is it important to clean this off every so often?

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    George T.,[p]It is very important to keep that crud cleaned off the dome. I clean mine every week by cooking a nice thick steak at 1000*. Keeps the dome clean and the family happy :~)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bob,
    Great technique there Bob. Pizza works well too, especially if you do several pies. 500 plus for an hour, and it is all cleaned up.[p]George, just don't do what Bob did and weld your lid shut by staying at cleaning temps for too long!! Sorry Bob, couldn't resist that one.[p]I am buying the rounds of squid and shad!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bob,[p]Cooking pizza is another way of cleaning the dome. My dome has yet to aquire a "crud" layer. It usually has a light coating of gray "dust" that wipes off with a gloved hand when I clean the EGG (about every six months).[p]Spin

• Grumpa
    Options
    Spin,[p]Sorry to have left out the pizza trick as you and NB have been so kind to remind me off. It works equally as well in cleaning dirty eggs and getting a great meal at the same time. I never thought oven cleaning could be so enjoyable :~)

• Grumpa
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Ain't never gonna live that down :~)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Spin,[p]100% ditto on that for me too.[p]Tim
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bob, I clean mine with baby-backs too. I let the grease just drip on the plate setter that was inverted to give me indirect heat,, then when everything was done, I just opened the bottom and top vent and let Humpty have the remaining charcoal. the next day, the plate sitter looked like new and the underside of the dome was nice and clean except for a couple of dark flakes that looked like dry paint peeling off.

• Spin
    Options
    Bob,[p]I consider myself in good company. At EGGtoberfest99 (my first "public" cook) I lifted the lid on the egg to show the setter/stone combination and everyone around heard the thump of the backdraft (it would have been a real beauty in the dark!). The egg was cooking at 700F for the last 15 minutes and it simply welded the seal entirely shut. The first pizza was just about to be cooked. Videos were running and everyone was watching.[p]We used a knife to slice the seal so the egg could be opened and then removed the entire upper and lower seal. This was also the first time I cooked a pizza on the setter/stone combination. Six minutes later the first pie was done. That was when I started to breathe again :-}.[p]Spin[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Spin,
    I thought I wuz da only one to get into situations like that and at times like that! My hats off to you Spin fer rolling wid da punch and still making it work![p]Dr. Chicken

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    George T.,[p]Only when you want to blow out a gasket.[p]Elder Ward
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    George T.,[p]I guess ya got a lot of answers and the boys are feeling their oats a bit. Basically all true. The stuff your referring to is a byproduct of your cooks and if your a consistant low and slow cooker you may have to manually clean it off. Another poster on a different forum suggested wadding up aluminum foil and rubbing down the interior. Use some rubber gloves tho if you try it..Also a bronze or copper wire ChoreBoy type may work also. Never use a chemical cleaner. The ceramics will obsorb it and ruin your cooks for some time to come. The exterior requires a different approach. I use Simple Green to clean up the outside. Others may have some solutions for you also.
    Cheerio..C~W[p][p]

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    George T.,[p] Like many of the others, I've found that a high-tempreature run will turn most of this stuff to flaky black chips. I've started using my shop vac to suck that stuff off the dome before I light my BGE each time. Really helps keep the black "paint chips" out of the pizza! I also open up the BGE after each low-temp cook to burn some of the stuff off for about 5-10 minutes (but don't start eating and forget you opened it up!)[p]MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    084s.jpg
    <p />Spin,[p]I am hoping to get my hands on that video today or tomorrow. I am curious how much of that they saved. For your first public cook - you did great!! A TV pro! It all turned out perfectly and you had the crowd! This is the exact moment when you opened the Egg to see what was what in there. Look at the faces as they all waited to see. [p]I never noticed the glove before. [p]Tim
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thanks Tim! Slowly but surely I'm connecting faces with the names. I know, "If I'd come to Egg fest 2000, I could connect more names with more faces!" Just won't work! I wish it would, but it won't. I'll wait to see all of you in the pictorials![p]Dr. Chicken

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    You let it go as high as it wants for as long as it wants?
    Does anyone know if the green stuff is ceramic? Can I use a chore boy to clean it?
    MAC

• Spin
    Options
    Tim M,[p]The glove ensures hairy fingers:).[p]Spin

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Tim M,
    How many people in the picture do you remember their names,i think i remember 11 of them.
    YB