Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why should I buy a Green Egg

2»

Comments

• B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Where are you located Sparkster (Steve)? The "Sparky" handle that you took initially lives in Cumming GA and has 5 different eggs at this time I think. You couldn't have picked a better handle to start with, great guy.

As far as an egg, I have a couple and got my first egg about 18 months ago. It was a medium. It was given to me as a rescue egg. I put about $100 into it to get it back in shape and have really liked it. I hardly use my gasser any more either. l liked it so much that I just bought a large egg to cook a bigger turkey or more ribs at a time.

I have tried to use a Brinkman smoker, and it gave me fits. The wind was blowing taking away all my heat, had to reload with charcoal, had to keep the water pan filled, etc. My egg will cook at low temp (easily and well regulated temp) for 16 to 20 hours on one load of lump, requires no water pan, holds the heat in the wind or even in the winter. Once you get it going, the the thermal mass of the ceramic egg insulates it from the outside and helps it hold and regulate the heat where you need it to be. You set the temp by closing the vent to regulate how much oxygen gets into the fire for combustion.

As for smoke, you use lump charcoal for fuel to get it hot and mix in any type of wood chunks for the smoke you desire. It doesn't take a lot of the small wood chinks to impart a great smoke flavor.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts and look forward to you joining the cult, I mean family.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    You'll get a pretty one sided response on this forum - no surprise there.
    For me - I loved grilling, moved up to a Weber kettle from a succession of one season tinpot wonders.
    I got frustrated by the small gap between the charcoal and the grate in my kettle and trying to avoid food charred on the outside and raw in the middle - I bought that 18" grill to pack with stuff not put it all at one side and the charcoal on the other. I don't mind on a portable for sausages / kebabs but at home...
    I got a Weber Smokey Mountain (check out www.virtualweberbullet.com ) and used it direct for large pieces and also got into smoking fish and brisket.
    I was hooked!
    So I bought my "last ever killer" grill - a Kamado K7 - all blue tiles and lovely, but it's a beast that devours charcoal, takes forever to get to temp, leaks too much to keep the temp down and sheds tiles.
    By a strange pattern of events I now have a medium BGE. Boy is it great.
    I reckon it's been the easiest grill I've ever owned, I haven't had (the need) to buy loads of accessories (I have tongs, a woo ring, a third hand and a platesetter - actually I've just got a pizza stone too).
    Yes I sometimes fancy another grill - maybe a small for being able to take in the car, maybe a large because it seems more versatile but that's just indulgence.
    Out of season charcoal cooking isn't big in the UK and I have a stock of charcoal I bought in summer 2007 to see me through - the egg doesn't use much despite getting fired up more often.
    (Now should I get that gasser I've hardly used but was a "steal" on ebay or find a worthy friend?)
    I don't know about Primo or Grilldome - they are probably similar to the BGE but get a ceramic cooker. This forum will help you out whatever brand.
    Sorry for the long post - I thought I could be less partisan but I guess I can't!
  • Thanks so much for the candid comparisons of your different experiences. This is helping me decide that this may be the avenue that I want to take. That is BGE, it sounds like it may be the thing to have. It is a lot of money, I just don't want to spend a lot on a grill and then ruin the food.

I think this forum would help a lot in getting help in the use and getting tips.

Thanks
    Sparkster
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Sparkster,you can't go wrong with the egg,trust me,I have have four and enjoy them all :woohoo:
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Doug: I'm out of town and finally getting online to read posts. Saw the beginning of this thread and didn't notice SPARKY w/o quotes. Figured you had started this topic for grins. I was trying to think of something funny to reply, something on the lines of "Why don't you just test drive one of the 4 you already have then decide if you really want a large?" I hope SPARKSTER reads thru a few posts and realizes he dfinitely needs an egg or two. After all, 10 Billion Eggheads can't be wrong. (How many of us are on this forum anyhow?)
  • "Sparky"
    Hey Bert,when I saw the post last night,I thought it was me too :huh: I get confused easily though :blush:

BTW-there are currently 6718 forum members ;)
  • Buxwheat
    OK, 6718 Eggheads (that we know of) can't be wrong.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    For every forum member there is probably 4 that don't know about the forum and 2 or 3 lurkers per member.
  • Buxwheat
    6718 + (6718 X 4) + (6718 X 3) = 53744 Whew, mayonaise* a lot of eggers out there!
    *Mayonaise: Noun/verb/sentence - Foxworthy Southernism as in, "Man, they's a lot of eggers out there!"
  • Sparky,

You fracture me!!!!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• "Sparky"
    Who,me?I'm confussed again eh:huh: :lol:Or are talkin to the imposter? :whistle::lol: So many sparkys,so little time :woohoo: