Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston buttt cook

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to bed at 1 am. with internal temp of butt at 152 deg. Dome temp was at 200 deg. Woke up late (9am) and butt temp was at 150 deg!! I am raising temp of EGG, thinking that the Egg temp went too low. Can I still try to get the internal temp of butt to 190 deg??.....or will this dry out the pork too much?
Thanks,
RLA

Comments

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    RLA,
    What time did you put it on? Keep in mind when you dome temp is 200 degrees it takes quite awhile for the temp of the butt to get to 200 degrees. IMO, the longer the cook the better. However, if time is an issue, bump the dome temp to 225 until the butt reaches 170 degrees. Once the butt gets to 170, you can then raise the dome temp to 275 or even 300 degrees. If you did this, you'll be pulling pork in approximately four hours.

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    Washog,
    I agree. When you kick the grill up to 275* or 300*, watch to make sure the bottom doesn't overcook, my firebricks really heat up. You can always wrap the butt in tinfoil if the outside is starting to look too done. [p]I would also let the butt reach 200* or even 205* max. I think they are even more tender when you get to 200*, it seems to melt more of the tough stuff. When you bring it in, wrap in tinfoil and let sit 1/2 hour to 1 hour. It will continue to cook out the tough stuff. Last one I removed from the egg fell into 4 pieces even with using two spatulas and tinfoil to try and hold together.