Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOODS

MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not to be confused with Char-Woody.[p]If one was to grind his own chips from branches in a chipper, wouldone be concerned with the bark in the wood chips. I have noticed the high priced stuff I buy does not have bark. I have a friend who has an apple orchard. I have an ample supply of small limbs. Does the bark make a difference in the flavor of the meat? Not only for fruit wood but all smoking woods. [p]Thanks in advance [p]MAC

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    MAC,[p]The thin bark of a limb will not affect the smoke flavor at all. The thicker tree bark can tend to harbor molds, lichen, and fungus. These can add an unwanted flavor to the smoke.[p]Spin

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    MAC,
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the bark from apple. It tends to be rather thin and soft. You do however as Spin pointed out be concerned with molds, etc. on the bark. You also need to be careful with any oil that you may get from the chipper. I know of one brewery that makes a smoked porter and have a dedicated chain saw that they use to cut the wood they use for smoking the malt. They lubricate the chain with vegetable oil to avoid unwanted aromas and other byproducts from standard chain oil.[p]Mr Beer

• MAC
    Mr Beer,
    GRRR...ATE Idea ! !! I could put vegitable oil in a new chain saw. Now if I could just get the thing to run on Gin I would be all set. Thanks for the post on the pics. OH and GOOOOO GREEEEEEEEEEN. Sorry Wolverine. If you was dare we'd be rootin' for yous. [p]MAC

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MAC,[p]I live near a peach/apple/pear orchard and take a trip up there during the pruning season to get set for the year on those woods. Have not ever had any problems with the barks being bitter at all. Seems like most fruit wood bark is relatively thin and soft. Store it in a cool dry place and it will last a long time.[p]Troy
  • MAC
    sprinter,
    Do you chip it or burn it as small pieces?[p]MAC

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MAC,[p]It's typically in sticks that are about 1/4 inch in diameter and about 12-24 inches ling. I just cut the piecis into about 6 inch sticks, soak them, and use 2-3 in a cook. Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    MAC,
    Yeah, I'll be rout'n for your Sparties. Got to stick with the home state teams.......[p]Mr Beer