Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow Egg users,[p]I discovered the Big Green Egg this weekend, and I was thrilled. For the first time in years, I found the same flavourful food my Dad used to cook on an open-fire pit. I want one!!
However, my husband and I just bought a house, we're strapped for cash and it seems like a big investment.
My question is for the Small Egg Owners :
Can you cook everything you want on a smaller egg? Did you ever regret not getting a bigger size? Would you recommend it, or should we splurge? It's just the two of us (no kids yet), but we love to entertain. I need advice!!

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Cecile,
    Buy the large. My husband and I had the same discussion; he talked me into the medium and I reversed his decision at the register after the clerk had already rung it up. We bought the Large, and we've never been one bit sorry! You'll forget the sticker shock after awhile; the brain forgets pain. Especially on a full stomach.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cecile,
    Excellent thoughts, and my advice would be to buy what you feel you can afford at the present. If its the small, it will do fine. I use the small here for the two of us for steak's, burgers, chicken, roasts, ribs, ect. Its all relative. As your family increases..keep the small, and add the large. Nice combination. Many of us own two, three, four of em..They kinda grow on ya...:-) Welcome to the variety show..mostly cooking and expertise. Nice to have you and we have many super gals here as well to assist ya.
    Hope this helps...
    Char-Woody[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Cecile,
    SPLURGE!!! Think of it as an investment that will pay dividends like you've never seen before! Get at least the medium, or go all the way & get a large! Just MHO though![p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gretl, that was so close we almost met personally...:-) Nice advice, and it's from experience also. Best kind.
    Cheers..Char-Woody

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cecile,
    You can get by with a small, but it is a bit restrictive for indirect cooking, and if you have guests. The medium will suffice, but you will probably wish you bought the large...especially if you like to entertain.[p]It seems expensive, but after one month you will feel like you already have gotten your money's worth. The large is only about 100 bucks more than the medium, and gives you lots more space. You will also find entertaining to be a lot more fun, since everyone will be raving about your cooking. [p]Buy the large and don't look back.
    Welcome to the group...stop back anytime![p]Good luck with your purchase.
    Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cecile,[p] I own both a small and a large BGE. You should really look at what you plan to use it for before you buy. I am a single guy, so one would think that a small BGE would be plenty for me. However I, like you, like to have friends over to eat. In those circumstances, I would be severely constrained by the small BGE. For example, last night I had four adults over for dinner and made about 5 lbs. of chicken thighs (sounds like a lot, but I have barely enough left over for me to have dinner tonight!). That would not have been possible in the small (at least not without layering somehow). Another example: I cooked steaks for twelve people on New Years' Eve. Even with the large BGE, I had to do two separate batches. If you don't really plan to entertain that much, it might not be worth it now for you to get the large if you need to put the money elsewhere. However, if you do have friends you feed on a regular basis, I will almost guarantee that once you start cooking on the small, you'll be overcome by the desire to share your wonderful food with them and you'll be searching for more capacity.[p] One more thing to think about: the Eggfest2000 is coming up at the end of April. If you live anywhere near the site (Waldorf, MD), you might consider buying one of the demo large BGEs there for $450 (stand and top included!)[p]MikeO
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Cecile,
    whaaaaaaaaaaaas uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!..welcome to the Egg Kingdom.
    I agree that the price is steep, but think of it like this which is my motto>>> it turns inexpensive meats into a delight. So u actually save money that way. I have never grilled a high quality steak on it, but always tasted better then any resturant i ever went to.

• Cecile,[p]Get the big one. Here's how to justify the cost...I've spent more on the two Webers and the 3 gas grills I've owned (and burn't out) in the past. The Egg should last longer than me.[p]Enjoy.[p]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Cecile,[p]I think you question is to the point and very appropriate. I can say from personal experience the If I had to do it again, I would not get a small. I started with a small. Within a month, I upgraded to a medium, and now want a large.[p]One of the big differences and advantages of a medium is the auto locking top (not available on the small). When I upgraded, I also added the Egg Mate (side tables).[p]To sum it all up. I recomment at least a medium, large if you can swing it. Oh, by the way, I live alone, am single and still wish I had a large!!![p]Smokey
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Cecile,
    I was faced with a similar decision a couple years ago and ended up with the small. The reason was simple economics. I have never regretted the decision. If I had to wait to save up the money to get a large I would still be waiting.[p]I have never felt at a disadvantage with the small BGE. When cooking for a large group of people, you just learn how to time the meal. I have cooked for 40 people out of my small egg and the egg was cooking for two days straight.[p]I am currently babysitting KennyG’s Large BGE and I am having fun with it. Maybe this year I will get a Large to go along with the small but not as a replacement.[p]If you can get the small, go for it. It is a far better to have a small egg than no egg at all.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Cecile,[p]Welcome to the forum. I own a large and small and love them both. I cook for two most of the time and the small is nice for that. The large is necessary when cooking larger meats and is much easier when cooking low and slow meals. When entertaining I often use both as I can cook using differing temps and smoke flavors.[p]I'd suggest that you do get an EGG. Your meals will improve and the list of new foods to cook and ideas on how to prepare them will only grow. I recommend both:). I started with the large and feel you can't go wrong that way.[p]Spin[p][p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Cecile,
    Now that you've heard from Spin, you've heard from a number of the experts on da forum! I'd sure suggest like Spin said, you get an Egg! Besides havin' a blast cookin and cuttin' up back and forth, jist look at the healthy stuff you can accomodate on an Egg! What other cooker can you be as versitile as what you can on the Egg? [p]No matter, welcome to da forum and good luck and.....good eatin'![p]Dr. Chicken

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Cecile,[p]Size matters. Save up if you have to you'll never regret having the biggest on your block. %^)[p]Elder Ward

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Cecile,
    After baking a pie on my large last weekend I am fully convenced that all you need is a microwave and an EGG. Sell the stove and buy a large. Ok maybe a little broiler oven for toast. [p]MAC