Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Worries

Options
Lee
Lee Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year I cooked from a sidebox smoker (12)lbs turkey at 225 and it took longer than 10 hours. Now I hear that 225 is not safe. I have to cook a 12 pounder for my sons school. What temp on my Large BGE and how long. It has to be there around 11 am. HELP PLEASE

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    un-stuffed, it should be safe.

but you can cook a 12 pound bird in a couple hours at 350. i get 10 minutes a pound at 350, 15 minutes a pound at 325
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    In four hours you can probably get the stuffing above 140 too. Just need to add it warm..
  • Lee
    Options
    The turkey is unstuffed
  • stike
    Options
    keep in mind that warnings about bacteria are worst case.

bacteria are on the surface of the meat, and on the interior of the carcass. not IN the meat. if you work your hand under the skin (to introduce herbs, etc.) you will move some bacteria under the skin (cross contamination).

that said, whenever the bacteria (not the meat) is in an environment over 140, it is done for.

put your turkey in a 225 environment, and within moments the exterior (and the inside of the cavity of an unstuffed bird) will be over 140. not sure how long it would take for the bacteria under the skin, but it's at the surface pretty much. it's not going to take four hours for the bacteria under the skin to get killed off over 140.

i dunno. there are an awful lot of rules quoted around regarding bacteria and food safety, but no one ever explains them.

and they are designed to cover the worst case scenario...
  • Lee
    Options
    Any Idea on how long it will take at 225
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    12# x 15min per# = 180min /60= 3hr or so
  • stike
    Options
    i would think 225 is a bit low to hope for 15 minutes a pound. i get 15min a pound for 325. have you had luck at 225 still being done at 15min/pound?