Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Millionth Turkey Question...Help!

Options
mookie
mookie Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recent bout of insomnia...been on the forum researching turkey methodology for the past two and a half hours and am more confused than ever! I am still a newbie and am "chicken" to try a whole bird on my medium egg...I still have trouble getting the temperature regulated on the egg! The lowest I've been able to get it to is 350, even with the tamper (?) almost shut...anyway, any input is appreciated for T-day. I thought I'd do a breast on the egg, and a whole bird in the oven. I also need to do a small ham (hubby not a turkey fan) on the egg. Plan to buy a plate setter to help with indirect cooking, but beyond that I am clueless! Any input? (outside of telling me to get some sleep...yawn!)
Stacey

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    never fear, mad max to the rescue. . here is everything you need to know for doing your turkey on the egg. . .. and on wednesday and thursday i'll be posting my hotline number and taking phone calls if you need direct and instant help!!!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/madmaxcentral.htm
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    Stacey,

Max is right, don't fear especially when you take a look at his tutorial. I will tell you I am relatively new to egging and did a dry run on the egg for Thanksgiving using Max's directions. The turkey was outstanding but the gravy was even better!!!! You can do this!!!
  • mookie
    Options
    I must confess I did look at your tutorial...but it looked like a daunting task, albeit brilliant!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hey Mookie, don't stress so. re read maxs directions and just break it down. it looks like a lot but he is just explaining it all in detail for every little thing. you really can't go wrong. just take your time and drink a little vino or your soother of choice and you will make it. I have used those directions and they are no fail :) Julie
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Mookie I have had my egg for less than a week and did one of these max's turkeys yesterday. It was a lot easier than I thought. Just keep and eye on the temp and baste that bird. I have pics posted so you can see the progression. Try it and you will be hooked! The ice on the breast is a genius idea because the bird is done throughout at the same time and is soooo moist!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the secret to one of your questions is your use of the phrase "the lowest i can get...". do you overshoot, and then try to drag the temps back?

don't try to get a good fire going, and then dial DOWN to a temp. the ceramic heats up, and will stay there for a good long time. if you choke way down, the fire will go below what's needed to maintain 350, but the thermometer might still read 350 (or more) because of the leftover heat.

sneak up on temps. 350 is roughly both vents a little less than half open. as you come up on 300/325, start shutting the daisy and lower vent until you see the thermometer start to slow down.

when you start, shut the dome after the starter cubes have burnt out, and if you are using a platesetter, put it in at the start. it's a heat sink, and if you put it into a 350 egg when the PS is cold, it will drag temps down temporarily.

ignore swings in temp from opening and closing the egg. and once you put food in, don't bother opening to 'check' it, or fiddle.

alter vents settings by maybe 25% more or less and let it go 5 minutes before you decide whether anything's happening.

you are driving a fully-loaded semi-tractor. it takes a long time to get up to full speed, and you need to start braking long before you get to the stop sign.

as for 350 versus 325, turkey-wise? 350 will give you ten minutes a pound, 325 will get it done in 15 minutes per pound. other than that, no real difference.

your electric oven, when set at 325, can go from 315 to 340 in a little sine wave, as it AVERAGES 325. the egg holds temp better. don't fret over 25 or 30 degrees either way. seriously
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you want to take the pressure off, cook two small birds, maybe 12 pounders if you can find them, one indoors and the other in the oven. ive cooked turkeys fromm 200 degrees to maybe 450, they all come out good if you zero in on a finish temp of about 165/168 breast internal on those smaller birds. follow maxs directions and it will be good, times will be shorter at 350 and a smaller bird, go by temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mookie, don't be daunted by the Max instructions. I use this method regularly now. My wifes whole clan insists that all holiday birds be prepared this way. If I can do it I'm sure you can...I have never even cooked a breakfast in a kitchen, but I can cook a turkey on an egg. Be sure to make the gravy.
    Good luck
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    I will pat you on the back, your turkey was the best looking bird I've ever seen. Awesome color. From the sounds of it, I'm assuming it tasted good too?
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Thanks. It tasted amazing. That really was not as hard as I thought it would have been.
  • Newville
    Options
    Mookie
    HAve no apprehession regarding the MMM (Mad Max Method). It's length is due to the completeness of the instructions and anticipation of the few spots where the newcomers might stray. If you follow step by step it is nearly impossible to make to much of a mess .. and the ability to free the oven up for more pedestrian items is invaluble (that part added by my wife).

The only concern I have based on your post is not being able to keep the temps low and stable. The plate setter should help (this is a great tool!) ... I have a large and stable dome temps down to 250 are a piece of cake (though I am always seem to be using the plate setter when I use that). Perhaps someone more familiar with the medium might chime in with some help on the temperature issue?
  • mookie
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I think I have a lack of confidence also because of 1.the temperature issue on the egg 2. The internal temp issue, cuz my 2 thermometers are unreliable and 3.trying to rig my medium egg to fit a 15 lb. Bird...I will reevaluate after I've gotten some sleep and my brain has returned!
    Stace
  • mookie
    Options
    I must confess I did look at your tutorial...but it looked like a daunting task, albeit brilliant!