Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Info on baking french bread on the egg.

Options
JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to know if anyone has baked french bread on the egg and if so the temp used and any special tecniques. Did you use the platesetter? plate setter and pizza stone? Any pic's or special points will help. Thanks. Jim

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jim - I did a dish at EGGtoberfest called 'Day Ahead Peach French Toast'. It essentially uses french toast in a pan. It takes about 50 minutes at 350. I would think that 350 is about the right temperature if you're going to do it as single slices but it will hardly take 50 minutes. More like 10 minutes a side - max. I would use some aluminum foil (nonstick is always nice) on top of the platesetter and give it a shot. DOn't go by how brown it may get on top, I have an idea that the bottom may brown first.

Let us know how it turns out.
  • JimS
    Options
    Thanks. I have a special pan made especially for french bread baking that i purchased from Williams Sonoma that I have used to bake premade baguettes in the regular oven but I want to make my own dough and bake it on the egg. I am certainly in uncharted waters on this. Jim
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Egret has probably baked every kind of bread there is. I'm sure he'll be along soon to answer.
  • JimS
    Options
    Thanks Pat, I remember seeing a post from Carwash Mike on baking bread on the Egg. Maybe he will be on also.
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I do my own (regular) bread from scratch on the egg. Use the egg as you would use your oven. IF you put water under your bread to bake, no need to do this in the egg.
    I baked mine on a plate setter, legs down in bread pans. 350 dome temp for 30-45 minutes until you reach 200 instant read.
    The egg gives the bread a great crust, with just a small hint of smoke, using Royal Oak with nothing else.
    Hope this helps. :)
    Bob
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    It's been several years since I did french bread and that was before I got my first egg. But, I've baked a whale of a lot of bread on the egg the last few years. I would suggest you follow your recipe for bake time and temps. If you read 10 books on the subject you'll get 10 different methods/techniques. Your temp. called for in the recipe will be what you shoot for in the egg.
    Your egg setup is important. First, you want to have a clean burning fire with absolutely no smoke. I'll start the egg about one hour before I plan on putting on the bread. For the type of bread you're planning I would use plate setter (legs down), ceramic feet (or other spacer....even 1" rolled up aluminum balls) on the plate setter and a pizza stone on the spacers. Put all this in the egg as it's coming up to temp. The spacers are important else the bottom tends to burn. If your bread is in a pan put that right on the pizza stone.
    If your recipe calls for a pan of water to be used, you may want to use an alternative setup....that is, plate setter (legs up), water pan on plate setter, grid on plate setter and pizza stone on grid (this can also be used with success even without the water pan).
    That's about it...I think you're really going to like the flavor of any bread you do on the egg compared to oven-baked bread.
  • JimS
    Options
    thanks egret, that was what i was looking for. I'm sure that I will burn a few pieces of dough but's thats all in the learning curve.Glad you told me about the no smoke part because that prevented one error. Jim
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    One thing to note specifically for french bread - to get the crispy crust on a baguette, you need to have steam in the oven. I would use a pan of water inside the plate setter as Egret describes.

-John
  • JimS
    Options
    thanks, have used that in regular oven and i know the french use steam in their brick ovens so i will add that.
  • French bread can be done on a hearth or it can be done as a pan bread with great results in many cookers.

MVC-014E.jpg

Dipstick
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Found this while out looking for bread recipes.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/lessons/tentipsforbetterfrenchbread

Hopefully it will help you.