Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Size Turkey For A Large Egg

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This has probably been asked already but I must have missed it. What is the largest turkey I can cook on a large Egg using tjv's adjustible equipment?

Is that more or less than doing it the traditional indirect set-up way?

Spring "Turkey Purchaser" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Chicken,

You of all people should know this kind of stuff!! :pinch:

22 - 24 pounds (according the Max "the orb of turkey knowledge")
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Earlier today the Orb (aka Turkey Oracle) said that you can push that to 28 with the right roasting pan.

His oft repeated advice is to do a cold dry fit before starting the fire.
  • Yea, but I'm starting to forget stuff. And I really want to get it right.

Max's recipe on Naked Whiz's site mentions a 21 pound bird but that was using a standard set-up. He also mentioned that it was cutting it close on getting both the turkey and enough lump inside the Egg for the cook. I'm hoping that I can get plenty of lump in there with the turkey if I use tjv's rig.

I think I'll just go with a 20 - 22 pounder and be done with it.

Spring "Busy Getting Ready For Little Steven's Possible Visit" Chicken
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Max's new setup uses the adjustable rig. Though he does say his pan barely fits.

Do as he suggests and put your pan in dry and see if IT fits first. Then you'll have an idea how big of a turkey will fit.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    oh man, don't drag me into chickens eating turkeys......just somethin' not right with it.........LOL.

two set-up alternative for the large cooker:

1. Spider with BGE 14" stone as the indirect piece, then bge grid on the fire ring. This will give you just over an inch void between the top of the stone and bottom of the pan. No Adj. Rig required. Could use the bge feet if needed to raise the pan a smidge more. This gives the most headroom and allows for the longest pan. Need to be careful about hot spots as the pan will set outside the stone. Or

2. Spider with the 14" bge stone as the indirect piece, then Rig crossbars on level 1.5. lowest bracket setting on Adj. Rig. Rig on fire ring. Pan sits on the crossbars. This will give you approx. 2.5 inch void between top of stone and bottom of pan. Less chance of hot spots. I believe this is Mad Max's preferred set up.

I'm lucky, going to my brothers. I get to play couch potato....

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • here you go leroy. . . . its a great setup for roasting your turkey. .. .

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg
  • I just got my turkey. 21.04 pounds. His name is Fred.

I think he will be most comfortable with that setup.

I suppose I should be very picky about the lump I use. Don't want it to burn up in two hours like that bag of Royal Oak that time. Think I'll break into my last bag of BGE Lump for this one. Fred would like that.

Thanks my fuzzy-faced friend. I'll read some more of your tips as soon as I get rested up.

Spring "Set On Action" Chicken
  • I just mentioned to Max that I think Fred (my turkey) will appreciate number 2 better.

Thanks. Now I have to figure something for lunch in this cold air (52°).

Life is always complicated.

Spring "The Pleasure Is All Mine" Chicken
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Leroy, don't name them when you're going to eat them. :ermm: And, I meant to tell you that Kim found Boscoli olive salad at Walmart. -RP
  • I wonder if I just put two steel rods through the bird and let it rest on the fire-ring would it cook more evenly? Nix that idea... the suspense would drive me nuts (Pun intended).

Spring "Hanging In There" Chicken
  • Now cut it out... Laughing will just encourage him.

Spring "Bringing Out The Best In People" Chicken
  • I think it will fit. It's aluminum and can be 'adjusted' to the environment LOL

Spring "Square Pan In A Round Hole" Chicken
  • Hey, the Chief of Security position is still open here at the Chicken Ranch. Like I said, it doesn't pay much but you get to play with the girls.

Spring "Play Is Work If You Have To Work At It" Chicken
  • Mad Max,

Where do you get your wonderful toys?
  • Celtic Wolf
    I will be there in two days :)
  • But we're birds of a feather, cut from the same DNA strip, bred for our destiny, etc. Fred understands his situation. Heck, he was even born with a pop-out navel.

I take it y'all may warm up some panini's over the hollerdays. They are good for sure.

Spring "Inny Panini Minny Mo" Chicken
  • Celtic Wolf
    from the couch potato!!!

TJV STUFF
  • You might check with Chubby first. I would assume the CEO position is vacant, given that he is never there to run his organizaion. Should pay well. After all, he became "independently wealthy" from it.

Spring "Independently Broke" Chicken
  • Just in time. I'm doing Max's Turkey too next week and had the same question. Thanks for the pics with Sandbagger's Rig.

Cheers,

Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WOW! Now there's a name from the past. What a nice surprise. Welcome back GrillMeister.

A lot has happened since you were a regular poster. Hundreds, if not thousands, of new Eggheads, all with talents they are eager to express on the Egg and share with their fellow Eggheads, just like you used to do.

Sure wish you would hang around some more. It's a fun place to be. But you already know that.

Happy Thanksgiving to You and Yours.

Spring "Temporary Historian" Chicken