Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrow is the big day!!

Options
Auburnegger
Auburnegger Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Egg is being delivered and assembled at 2:00pm!! One question;

Do I need to do an initial burn with no food on the egg or can I jump in and do some steaks around 500 or 550?? Thanks.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Just be careful of your gaskets. Steaks are best seared at 600 and then roasted at 400-450.

You mat experience gasket meltdown, but if you are careful you won't.

Take the top off before opening the lid and open it slowly.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Jump in and light that baby up. Just a caution, higher steak cooks very early seem to be when complaints about gasket glue are highest. You can do steaks, but maybe keep the temp down just a bit and try 1-2 longer slow burns. Just a thought
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    How can you be careful with the gaskets?
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Thanks. I am going to do a boston butt and turkey hopefully this weekend.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Don't jack the temp to 600-700 on the first cook. As the egg cools and you have shut it down, go out and open and close the lid slowly and see if it starts to sound a bit like velcro. The fear is to shut it down at 700, leave it shut and the glue seals the gasket together. After it is cold, well it is going to be like alabama trying to score on Florida (it just ain't gonna happen easily)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You should be fine. I never had a problem with the gasket. I did a few low temp cooks first. Some ne eggers really want to cook steaks first and get the coals raging and the dome up to 800. The cook the steak, close the egg and the recently appliend glue melts and sticks the gasket together. The next day it is impossible to open and of course the egg gets blamed, the company is horrible and it was easily prevented.

Now gasket fusing can happen anytime, but it is more likely on high temp, new egg cooks
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Or better yet..Auburn trying to get a first down against Bama. Looks like our streak is over! Thanks for the help.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    You can, but the question is 'should you'?

We haven't seen many gasket failures in the last few weeks. Is that because we are somewhat through the new egg buying season, for us cold weather folks anyway.

Or, is it because the 'bad' batch of adhesive is worked it's way through the distribution/dealer system.

You are going to cook turkey and butt why not try that sear on the steak after the big "T" day.

The higher the temp with any mass close to the gasket level is risky.

Just something to think about.

GG
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You can never predict a game with in-state rivalries.
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Options
    Most of the advice I seen was keep the Egg under 400F for roughly 7-10 cooks and you should have no worries of gasket failure. It was hard but for peace of mind I followed this advice and never exp. and trouble with my gasket.