Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first chuck roast help

Options
ptcajun
ptcajun Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New egghead here, I have been cooking for 4 1/2 hours. Dome temp ran away from me for the 1st hourup to 350 but finally 250 for the last hours. Roast has been 155 for past 2 hours. At what temp should i pull it off. I don't want to dry it out.

Comments

• Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    ptcajun. I'm not sure about the roast but do you live in Pasadena MD?
  • ptcajun
    Options
    Nope orginally from Louisiana but transplanted to Houston Texas.
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    Gotcha. A guy in my area drives a PT Cruiser that says "cajun" on the tag. FG
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hey neighbor. We're up in Spring, near I-45 and FM 1960. Whereuat?

You didn't say how you were cooking yours. Here's one I cooked in a dutch oven a week or so ago. Turned out great.

PotroastAlmostReady.jpg

If you are cooking yours in a dutch oven, just keep an eye on it and add liquid (water or beef stock/broth) if needed. It should be getting done about now. Don't over cook it. It's better when your teeth have to work on it a bit.

Spring "Time For Recharging And I've Worked Up A Hunger Pain" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Wow, you sound like Spring Chicken's long lost relative.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Along as you had liquid half way up the meat you should be ok.When cooked at 325/350 time would be about 3to3 1/2 hours.Just hope your veggies were not in that long as they may become soggy.If you put a fork in the meat it should tear apart just like pulled pork.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04432a.jpg

Welcome to the neighborhood....It looks like guys think your are cooking in a Dutch Oven?? I'm thinking not.

If that is the case, when the chuckie gets to 160°-165°, wrap it in a double layer of foil, add 1/2 cup of jazzed up beef broth and continue to cook until it is as tender as you want it (or it can go into a aluminum pan with some broth, covered)

If you want it pullable, somewhere above 185° internal will work. Some need to go into the high 190°'s. Probe it with an ice pick to check for tenderness. Save that broth from the foil to add back to the meat.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    Hey Sring Chicken;
    Can you please send how you did the cook?? Looks awesome!!

Oledog
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Sure. Here it is...

Spring Chicken’s Pot Roast

Pre-heat Egg to 450° with indirect set-up (platesetter legs up and spacers under dutch oven)

Chuck roast (2.5 to 3 pound)

Cut slots in a number of places on the roast and insert garlic cloves

Sear the meat good on all sides in a pre-heated dutch oven with grease from 1/4 to 1/2 strip of bacon.

Add two cans of Swanson’s beef broth and one can of Campbell’s consommé

Add a packet of McCormick Beef Stew Seasoning Mix. Stir in well

Add plenty of cut vegetables: potatoes, carrots, celery, onions

Add preferred seasonings (I used Richard Florida’s Pixy Dust [1/4 tsp] and Dizzy Pig’s Raising the Steaks [1/2 tsp])

Add water to bring it up to top of meat. Add more later if needed

Cook without DO lid for about 3 hours at 350° then 1 hour at 250° stirring occasionally

Add mushrooms during last 30 minutes

When meat is almost fall-apart tender, it’s ready

Hope you like it.

Spring "Potted And Roasted" Chicken