Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ROUGH start with new Egg - several issues

Options
JTC
JTC Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
During my first five uses:
Upper Lower Gasket came off and/or became stuck.
My accessory BGE Cast Iron Grate cracked apart!

I called BGE customer service and they qucikly sent me a new gasket, told me to buy 3M Super 77 adhesive spray to use to glue the new gasket on the egg.
Sent me a new Cast Iron grate.

Used new cast iron grate two times and now I see it has similar cracks - though pieces have not fallen off yet!

Perhaps if BGE did NOT outsource the grate to China - it would be a reliable product. Wish I still had my $55 I spent on the grate and just stuck with the standard wire grate.

Food is out of this world!! - but not looking forward to the messy job or removing old gasket and replacing with new glue/gasket.

I'm sure BGE customer service will assume I am being un-truthful about cast iron grate failures when I tell them another cracked.

Comments

• Cookn&Climbn
    Options
    why not take that stuff back to your dealer? did you try that route already?
  • JTC
    Options
    Given the length of drive to dealer - I have chosen to call the good people at BGE. But the grill grate may be better to present in person.
  • If you were sent the standard gasket I would toss it in the trash and call Atlanta and order the new Nomex gasket. If you are going to go through all the hassle of changing a gasket put the good one on and be done with it.
  • I had a CI grid that I bought from Lodge for a different brand grill. It also cracked almost immediately but I used it for many years before pieces started to fall off. I think, because of the web like configuration and the uneven heat hitting it, that is just going to happen. I have seen many post that their BGE CI grids did the same thing then that seemed to releive stress and they used it in that condition for years. Just saying, I am not sure it has anything to do with where it was cast.
  • JTC
    Options
    Great point! I think I was sent the standard gascket. It is white and the directions reference using "Elmers Glue" to attach it to the egg???
    When I called BGE cust serv. Bruce told me of a "bad batch of adhesive" that was a known issue.

I assume I should call BGE cust service, tell my story and ask for Nomex?
  • JTC
    Options
    To your point...The replacement one seems to have cracked, but not such that a section of the grill is now missing. Hopefully, the stress is relieved and it is done cracking.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    I've been using a cracked (non-BGE, but probably made in China) CI grid for over a year. Works fine.

Would recommend using a high-temp silicone sealant to adhere your new gasket instead of the Super 77. Requires no masking.

My $.02, fwiw

Mike
    Wrens GA
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I hate to hear of your troubles. If there is a bright light in all of this, once you get your egg gasket on, you'll have a great cooker that can do just about anything but sashimi. Don't give just yet. We'll all be here to help you get out the gate and going when you get this resolved.
  • Egg And I
    Options
    I just replaced my gasket, and the Nomex is white. It's been a long time since my original (felt) gasket was anything but black, but IIRC it started out grey. You may have gotten the Nomex.

Anyone seen a new felt gasket lately?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If your new gasket is white it is Nomex. Light gray, usually thin, dark gray, usually thick, are felt.

As you stated the issue is the adhesive and is the 'larger' problem. The felt gasket material is not all that bad, however, the Nomex has a higher heat specification.

GG
  • dukedog
    Options
    Hi Mike - Do you have a brand for the silicone sealant you'd recommend. I'll be putting the white Nomex on mine soon and the idea of not having to mask is enough for me to try the hi temp silicone stuff. Thanks!
  • JTC
    Options
    Yes - I have the same question. Spraying adhesive does not sound too appealing.
  • Daeg Draco
    Options
    Two months ago I picked up a XL Egg, seconded time I used it I lost both gaskets.
    Not a good start – NOT HAPPY
    After two months of cooking in it………….I going to get a Large to go with the XL
    Stick with it, It gets very very good.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Permatex has two hi-temp silicones good for over 600* and they are available at most auto supply houses. One of them is Red Hi-Temp and the other is Copper (I think) and they are probably available at Wallyworld. I have used them on three Large BGE's adhering Cotronics tape, and they are still in good shape. I have had two of the Eggs to over 800* with no problems.

Mike
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    One thing here , your rpoblems seem to be coking too high a temp for the first few cooks, these problems you mention follow the high temp cooking. I cooked 350 and below for the first 5 cooks
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    The newer BGEs have a lot of problems. I used to sell them at a local store and we had a lot of problems with eggs after the new year.

The new eggs are larger than the older ones, so the fire boxes and rings expand too much and crack, and the rain caps and cast iron dampers do not fit properly. Also the eggs fit too tightly in the tables and can scorch them.

As for the cast iron grill grates, the first two I sold (one to customer, one to myself) cracked very quickly, mine cracked so much it fell apart. We got some more through warranty and had no further problems. Maybe there were just some bad batches.

As for the gaskets, whoever they have putting them on now really needs to work at it. I have pictures of some new eggs that came in and the gaskets are put on very badly. Off center, sliding down into the egg. We had several people complain about the gaskets catching fire because of this.