Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back strap of venison - How to do?

belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend just gave me the backstrap of venison. Since I have never cooked venison, or, for that matter, any wild game, except dove and pheasant. I need help. I know that the meat is very lean and probably needs to be wrapped in bacon but, from there I'm lost. Any help from you wild game pro's sure would be appreciated.

Gordon
Vero Beach, FL

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    IMHO one of the best pieces but I have been chastised for using it for jerky but it was the best I've ever had.
  • Love that backstrap! But I always chicken fry it...just what I was raised on. Sorry I can't help with an "egged" version....but you could always throw that cast iron skillet on the egg and give it a whirl. Simple coating in seasoned flour after a egg white wash and fry in the light oil of your choice. Use just enough oil to immerse the meat in without covering it completely. A little cream gravy, and you're in heaven.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    The back straps are my favorite! I cut them about 1 to 1.5 inches thick and marinate overnight in Allegro Marinade.(a soy sauce base) I wrapp in bacon and cook at 350 for about 5 mins each side. They are always very tender and tasty.
    Koke
    Swansea, IL
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Gordon,
    One of the best ways to do it is, cut several pieces across the grain about 1/4 inch thick. Tenderize each piece then marinade overnight in Wickers marinade/basting sauce. The next day fold each piece in half placing a slice of jalapeno in the fold then wrap in cheap smoked bacon. Grill direct over medium high heat until deer is medium about 135 deg.

Enjoy
  • Or… ;)
    Do the loin as a whole. Marinade and then wrapped in bacon! They aren’t too big to handle and cooked / grilled as a whole loin they really come out juicy and extremely tender.
    I haven’t done one since last”season” and don’t remember the exact marinade (give me a day and I’ll find my notes and the recipe), as it was the first time I had ever used a marinade, but will do so again. The only thing that stands out in my mind at the moment...Is that it had Coke in it. I’ll find it and get it out…I promise!
    What I can tell you, for sure, this evening is that it was grilled at 350 to 400 F. turning every ten minutes until it was “Med.” temping at about 160 to 165 F.
    I’ll be back ASAP with the method / recipe for the marinade.
  • Spuds: Looking forward to that recipe. If you wish, you can E-mail me at - veroite@bellsouth.net
    May add that to the menu Thanksgiving. Turkey and Venison sound great to me. We always have a mob (18 to 20) for that holiday. Extended family.
    Gordon
  • Thanks to you who responded to my plea for help. I am going to try your suggested recipes. Thanks again. You can always relie on EggHeads to help out. Gordon
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    heck out the venison post that went up about an hour ago, too.
    there should be some other venison recipes posted soon.

your post got me looking for that black-currant sauce i did a while ago with some venison tenderloin steaks. never found it (which is why i didn't reply to your post)

this was a plate of venison and lamb. good stuff.

platedvenisonlamb.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I have never cooked venison backstrap but I have cooked elk backstrap and the loins. I cut medalions about 1 1/2" thick and wrap in bacon after I soaked the elk in sweetmilk about 1-2 hours. Then a little garlic salt and pepper only and then cook 275-300 degrees to the liked wellness. I cooked mine for 20 min.
  • This marinade was inspired by a friend that was using Dale’s Steak Seasoning and a cola as a marinade. Both the Dale’s and the idea for using the cola is something that he had brought home from a hunting trip to Alabama…It’s a very nice taste.
    Dale’s is not available here in Northern MN so I thought I would try my hand at putting something (at least) similar together. I like doing that sort of thing anyway, and it turned out real good!
    Any meat (chops, roasts, steaks…) would benefit from a good soaking, but sense we were talking about the backstrap. Here is what I did about a year ago.

JB’s VENISON MARINADE
    North Portage Smoke-Shack

1/3 C. soy sauce
    1 t. onion powder
    1 t. garlic powder
    1 t. paprika
    1 t. ginger
    1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
    1 (12 oz.) Coke

1)) Place loin in a 2 gal zip-lock with the marinade. Coat well and place in the fridge. for at least 4 hrs. (Over night will be OK too) turning often.

2)) Remove the loin and wrap in bacon, held in place with tooth picks. Reserve the marinade, if you wish to cook it into an au jus.

3)) Place loin on a hot grill (350 to 400F) turning every ten minutes, cooking to your doneness.
    Rule of thumb: Temperature is the determining factor here not time, as the size of a loin will vary. I like to cook mine to about 160F or even a little less, medium rare to medium (medium being the 160F mark).

To make an Au Jus of the marinade:
    Place the marinade in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a hard boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to about 2/3s.
  • ST:
    Here is an excellent marinade (below) that WILL NOT mask any of the venison flavor! But will help hold some moisture while adding a nice flavor to it. “belle’s dad” just used it and thought it was great…You might want to PING him for the low down.
    As for the roasting…A low & slow may not be your best bet for keeping it as moist as possible, no matter how well the Egg will do that.
    I will be the first to say that I’ve only done “back strap” as a roast on the Egg and I do them over Med. high heat 350 to 400 F. as to not dry them out with a longer cook. Somebody else may be able to chime in with a better idea here…But I’m really thinking along the 350 – 400 line would be the route to go here!
    With a roast the size you have there (looks to be a pretty good size) two ideas come to mind:
    First, the addition of a little oil, either olive pumas or canola (neither with a major flavor) could be incorporated into the marinade. I’ve had good success with that when marinating a lean pork cut.
    And a second thought: Of course you wouldn’t wrap the roast with bacon, as described below, nor would it be turned…But you could drape a few slices of thick cut atop the roast for a hint of flavor and a little fat for moisture!
    Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out for you!
    BTW, I’m envious of your roast!!

JB’s VENISON MARINADE
    North Portage Smoke-Shack

1/3 C. soy sauce
    1 t. onion powder
    1 t. garlic powder
    1 t. paprika
    1 t. ginger
    1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
    1 (12 oz.) Coke

1)) Place loin in a 2 gal zip-lock with the marinade. Coat well and place in the fridge. for at least 4 hrs. (Over night will be OK too) turning often.

2)) Remove the loin and wrap in bacon, held in place with tooth picks. Reserve the marinade, if you wish to cook it into an au jus.

3)) Place loin on a hot grill (350 to 400F) turning every ten minutes, cooking to your doneness.
    Rule of thumb: Temperature is the determining factor here not time, as the size of a loin will vary. I like to cook mine to about 160F or even a little less, medium rare to medium (medium being the 160F mark).

To make an Au Jus of the marinade:
    Place the marinade in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a hard boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until