Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large stone on large egg

Options
chefreyguy12
chefreyguy12 Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So i have read on here that the large stone on the large egg is not the greatest thing for your gasket,I do have the nomex, so i just bought the med. stone for my large egg. it is great I just make 2 pizza for the family instead of one. but really wanted to ask the question is it true should I stay away from the large stone . We do pizza twice a week. thanks in advance.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i think there is more a problem with new gaskets than with the stone. my preference would be a gasket thats turned black and hard or no gasket at all. i cook pizzas on the extreme end of temps with a stone bigger than the bge, my setup is 16 inch diameter and i cook pizza in the thousand degree range and i dont use gaskets anymore, not for the last couple years anyways. i do believe, and the naked whiz has pointed this out many times, that burping and egg with a newer gasket will lead to failure of the gasket, thats with or without the stone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    with such a big stone how do you get enough air flow to get to 1000
  • murrayhill
    Options
    I Started a Pork Butt last night at 9pm Fire was at 250-300 until 1am(last time I checked it) Woke up at 6 fire was at 125-150.. Butt temp was at 140.. Therefore I dont think it was low to long... Ive started it back up since then and the butt is up to 190 again... should I keep it or toss
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I use a fibrement 16" stone in my large. Usually cook about 520. Can easily go higher.

From www.bakingstone.com as I recall.

I have Cotronics gaskets.

Spaceman Spiff
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i made a high temp lump grate with more holes than the standard grate, plus my broken fire box breaths better than a new one. the shape of this tank end seems to make the flow better as well, at 1100 dome temp a blue fireball hovers above the pizza. i fill the tank end with sand and place the stone on the sand to keep the stone from getting too hot, the temp above the pizza is hotter than the stone.
    100_1527.jpg
    100_1530.jpg
    100_1543.jpg
    what an egg looks like after an 1100 degree cook
    100_1655.jpg
    the lump grate is larger in diameter and has more holes than the origional, you can accomplish the same thing with bolts on the origional grate by lifting it a quarter inch higher gaining airspace around the grate instead of just thru the holes
    fukahwee maine

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'm not so sure it's the size of the stone but more the location of the stone, sitting right the gasket line. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think my setup gives a better verticle flow where just a big stone would force the heat outward, but once you have a nice charred gasket it doesnt seem to matter, its those new gluey gaskets that make a mess.
    fukahwee maine

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    My post was suppose to be under the original thread, dang if I don't screw up post location more than I get it right.....I like your set-up by the way.

Hope this goes to the right spot.....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • KingSmono
    Options
    Damn, that's pretty freakin' ingenious.