Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guess I should introduce myself

Jeff J
Jeff J Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, I've been posting here for about a month now and no profile yet so thought I'd introduce myself. Currently I live in central Florida but I grew up in North Carolina, graduated from App State was in Theta Chi fraternity. I'm 26, married, 2 kids. Ate on a egg about 3 years ago and wanted one every since, got it for XMas this year and love it. Wife thinks I'm going nuts and hides when I start explaining it to those who don't know anything about the BGE. This is a great board with many knowledgable, friendly folks and thanks to you all. Hey when's the Florida eggfest?

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Jeff J,
    Hi Jeff <waves>. Welcome to the forum. As you have found out, it's a great bunch of people here. Haven't heard anything about a Florida eggfest, but the one in Waldorf, Md is May 3rd. Last year was our first time, and it was a blast. [p]~nikki

• Jeff J,
    Welcome to Egg World. Before long you are going to be making your friends and neighbors believers as you fill the air with wonderful smelling aromas. And wait until your wife tastes what you and your Egg created. She will thank the day you took the plunge. I probably don't need to tell you how important this Forum is and what tools come in handy because you have already visited here, but the REAL fun comes when you start experimenting with your own recipes. Just like most of us, thoughts of a second Egg will start to materialize. Don't fight it because you will probably lose. Just look to the future when you will have two going at the same time. Double your pleasure and fun.
    Good luck and good Egging.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Jeff J,
    Welcome! My daughter just graduated from App in December. If you are referring to Eggtoberfest, it is in Atlanta. I think it is usually around the 3rd saturday in October. I've not heard of any xxxxFest's in Florida.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Jeff J,
    Welcome aboard. If Gfw hasn't checked in you make sure you check out his website. Very, very helpful.
    Wish I had you weaher today.
    How far from Jax are you?[p]CWM

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Jeff J, well, I guess I can offer a "helping hand" to a newbie (AN - GaTech). Send me an eMail and I'll shoot off a copy of a helpful bunch of recipes.

• Wise One
    The Naked Whiz, I think our answer should be: "Whenever you decide you want to hold it." I think we need to have an EGGfest somewhere every month and Florida in January sounds like a winner to me.

• Wise One,
    Have you updated your recipe document? I notice you have never sent me any new copies to post on my website. If you have an updated version, I'd be happy to post it.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One,
    Well, I'd nominate Bermuda for May. For September, I'd nominate Paris. (Thinking outside the states... :-) )
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    The Naked Whiz, I have updated it some but have a whole stack of recipes to go through and format into it. I'll do that this weekend and send you another copy.[p]
  • Jeff J,[p]Welcome! My wife did the same thing when I'd go on my ceramic cooking proselytizing rants to folks.[p]Funny thing now is that once she got used to steaks off the BGE and she had her first gas-grilled steak in many months she began doing more sellling of it than I do.[p]She's also the first one to rave about it when new folks come over and ask "what the Hell is that contraption in the back yard?"[p]Todd
  • Wise One
    The Naked Whiz, I thought it was April in Paris. But what do I know? "Le gros œuf vert" or whatever just doesn't sound right. Besides what would we call it - œufEST?

• Jeff J,[p]My wife and I both graduated from App in 1994, and are heading back up there in a couple of weeks for some skiing. Welcome![p]- Mike[p]PS: Don't play with Yosef![p]
    (Yosef, is the APP mascot, by the way) :-)

• Jeff J, Right on. I'm likewise waiting for my profile to be posted. I understand from some of the other folks it takes awhile. Isn't this forum great? My wife mocks me because I check it every night and talk about it all the time. She's not complaining that I offer to cook on the egg at least 3 nights a week plus a long and slow (cook, that is) on the weekend.[p]By the way, are you from Boston? Duke '91.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Cornbread Willy,
    I just looked at your profile...It must have just got posted.
    Larry

• YB, Whaddya know? There it is!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Jeff J,[p]I think one thing us Egging husbands all have in common is that are wives think we are dorks or crazy or obsessed, until they start eating food we cook on the Egg. In time, they become like my wife, who will sit in a very nice restaurant and complain about how bad the steak is compared to what you can cook on the Egg. Your wife, too, will become a believer--then you can buy a Mini and she'll rave about "how cute she is."[p]Welcome to the forum and the Eggworld. I wish you the best of luck and fun in cooking.[p]TRex
  • Jeff J
    Car Wash Mike, I'm in Leesburg, between Ocala and Orlando about 2 1/2 hours away.

• Jeff J
    Charcoal Mike, Hey enjoy the snow, we were up last weekend, really miss the cold, we'll be up in April for frat golf tourney and then for homecoming. Hope your going to Sugar, best snow ya know. If you send ASU $100 you can be in the "play with yoself club"

• FlaBQ
    FlaBQ Posts: 12
    Jeff J,
    Welcome, welcome, welcome! If you think you're addicted at this early stage, just wait. Just look at all the tasty treats you've got to look forward to, from all-nighter low-n-slow pork and brisket, to pizzas and calzones, to spatchcocked chickens, to atomic buffalo turds (I am not making that last one up).[p]As far as the FL Eggfest goes, just say the word. I'm not too far away from you in Southeast FL.
    Cheers!

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Cornbread Willy,
    I, too, posted my profile over a month ago with no immediate response. But, much to my surprise, here it is today. Guess the holidays are over. Now I'd like to attempt a picture post.[p]Green side up
    TLR

• Wise One
    Cornbread Willy, I think he's from Chicago but we need to get some recipes for OX on the BGE.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Jeff J,
    Glad you decided to introduce yourself. Suddenly, you've found a bunch of folks in nearby Florida. Personally, I'm a bit to the west...New Orleans.
    Time for a cold one...

• docrjh
    docrjh Posts: 21
    Jeff J,
    Welcome, Jeff. I, too am a "newbie". I started about Dec 28th, and have already tried pulled pork, steaks(twice), pizza(unreal),ribs, smoked trout,wings,spatchcock chicken,black bean chili in a cast iron dutch.. My oh my, will you be amazed![p]Best of luck to you my friend.[p]Randy

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Hi Jeff. I'm Zeke and an eggoholic. Congrats on the new Egg.

• Jeff J
    Cornbread Willy, No, I'm from Charlotte.

• Jeff J
    Cornbread Willy, No, I'm from Charlotte. That makes 3 of us. The forum is great got some ribs in JJ's rub now to smoke this afternoon, can't wait to do a butt and get some NC Q.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Jeff J,
    Welcome to the Green Room! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have.
    Hammer

• Jeff J,
    Hi Jeff and welcome. Iam in North Central Florida as well. In addition Qbabe and Mempho maniac is here too. The 3 of us are very close to gainesville Fla. welcome.[p]Paul

• Wise One, Jeff the recipe book Bill (wise one ) is speaking of is great. He was generous enough to send me one as a newbie as well. I promis you will love it and pay close attention to his fire building tips.[p]Paul[p]Thanks again wise one

• Wise One,[p]How could I make it worth your while to shoot me off a copy of the "New and Improved" version? [p]Snoobys