Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking an uncooked ham

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not done an uncooked ham on my egg before. Wondering about cooking time and what final temperature I should have for the meat. Ham is about 10lbs?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mark,[p]Never tried an uncooked ham before - many are precooked and just need to be reheated. The label will tell you. If it has never been cooked then I can tell you that about 150° will be the goal meat temp, or a little higher if you want.[p]Tim
  • Roy Fraser
    Options
    Mark,
    I did one yesterday and I cooked it indirect at 350 for about 3 hours. I used no smoking wood and it turned out great it had a slight smoke taste from the lump. I took it off at 145 internal. It was done and still moist. I dont know if this is the correct method but it worked for me. Hope this helps. Pigtail

• Pigtail,
    What is your definition of indirect. When I use that term I'm referring to a ceramic plate I place below whatever I am cooking. Also, how large a ham did you do? Mark[p]

• Mark,
    A uncooked ham should be cooked to the temp Tim suggested and let it rest for 1/2 to 1 hour after you pull it off the cooker.
    I would throw some hickory or pecan at it, ham and smoke go well together.
    Jim

• Roy Fraser
    Options
    mark james tuttle,
    Yes indirect is using the platesetter. I did not look at the weight but I guessed that it weighed about 9 or 10 pounds. It sure is good. Going to have some tonight. No Monday Night football. What will I do.

• Trailblazer1229
    Options
    How many pounds was the ham pre-cook?