Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My roast experience...:)

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ah what a life....I sit here telling my BGE friends about my first success on the BGE whilst listening to Monty Pythons "Life of Brian" soundtrack (thanks MW). My co-workers will think I have lost it....[p]Back to the roast. I rubbed it with JJ's rub (not sauce as I was not aware of that technique...thnaks for the tip Spin) and then since I don't have a drip pan I placed it in a pan with a cup of beer. I also threw in a couple of chuncks of hickory. I cooked it at about 275* (I know...too hot but I didn't have the patience to stand outside in the cold and figure out the temperature thing) and abofter about 2 1/2 hours it was done. I also did some hickory smoked hot dogs for the kids. They said they were the best ever. Both my wife and I really enjoyed the roast and thank everyone for their tips.[p]Dr. Chicken, she isn't quite ready to kick me out of bed for the Egg but after she has the salmon she just might be...

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    GJ,
    If there's a divorce, make sure you keep the Egg! Well, maybe joint custody would work!

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    GJ,[p] Congrats on the roast. Did you use internal temp to decide on doneness? Also, just to clarify, the roast was actuially sitting in the beer, not over it, right? I've got a chuck roast in the fridge right now that's going on the BGE tomorrow. Actually, if the roast wasn't covered or steamed, 275 is probably a good temperature to do it at -- if you take the roast off when it is rare (internal temp of 135 or less). My current plan is to marinate it overnight in a Murphy's Irish Stout (it was cheaper this week than Guinness (be nice, after all I'm using it for marinade for Pet's sake)) and garlic concoction, then sear, cook at 250 until internal temp is 110. Finish it off at 500 until internal temp is 130. Then, let rest for about 20 minutes. That'll be pahse one of the experiment. Next weekend, I'm going to try braising the same cut of meat (or at least another cut of the same type, in the same marinade) in a dutch oven in the BGE (gonna put the lid on for the second half of cooking), going to a higher internal temperature. Hopefully, I'll learn something from comparing the two processes.[p]-MikeO
  • GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    Options
    MikeO,
    Yes, it was sitting in beer. I just used an instant read thermometer as I don' have a polder yet.