Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Year's eve Whatcha cookin photo contest

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
marsteak.jpg
<p />OK you digcam owners,[p]Charge up those batteries and strut your stuff here on the forum for perusal tommorrow when we all sober up. [p]Show us all those sensational plates to be served tonight while partying in anticipation for the coming of the new year. Damn, I hope it's better than 2002!!![p]We spent a lot of time on the FoodTV site today to select all the recipes. It will be steaks marinaded in rosemary infused olive oil and peach salad with creamy blue cheese dressing. On the side will be Swiss chard with pancetta and golded raisins. Ceramic baked potatoes will round out the meal.[p]These bad boys will be cooking on Humpty medium in about 2 hours.[p]Happy New Year to all[p]Kenny and CarolG

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    KennyG,[p]No photo tonight Kenny, but we'll sear 3 NY Strips tomorrow with "twice fried" french fries, and a salad made up of spinach, grilled radicchio brushed with balsamic vinegar and roasted peppers ... and of course a sourdough boule.[p]The small will grill the steaks and the mini will do the radicchio and peppers.[p]Happy New Year all,
    Puj and Mrs.Puj

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    KennyG,
    Another no cam guy here,but, HeeHeeHeeeee two Brant's Beer Butt Birds just went into the egg.
    May you have a Happy New Year,
    New Bob

• Vogs
    Vogs Posts: 41
    Brisket.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]It is brisket for me tonight. Can't wait!![p]Vogs
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    KennyG,
    I can't post a photo, but tonight's fare is Prime Rib roast, bone in. I'll start it on the small at 600¡ to sear, then over to my large to finish off at around 325¡. In the meantime, when the small cools down a bit, I'll put on a nice big baker for me and a huge sweet 'tater for my wife. I'll be seated beside my roaring chimnea sipping Jack Daniels while it all cooks. Rounding things out will be some broccoli/cauliflour salad. This is my first prime rib, so I'm hopeful that it will turn out good. i'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

• KennyG,
    No pix - one of my New Years resolutions![p]On the Egg's now - one turkey breast and one spiral cut hammy. To be followed by some Atomic Buffalo Turds and some shrimpers.[p]Happy New Years to all![p]LVM

• KennyG,
    If you wanna see what I cooked for New Year's Eve, I'm gonna have to stick a feather down my throat. Sorry......[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • KennyG
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Can't ya at least tell us about it????[p]K~G

• Vogs
    Dsc00258.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]Here is the parmasiana broccoli to go with the brisket.[p]Happy new year,
    Vogs

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Vogs, that looks interesting. Care to share the recipe?

• KennyG,
    Oh sure. I didn't think of that! :-) Well, we had two lovely, and I mean really lovely ribeye steaks. Just plain and simple Montreal Steak seasoning. With a salad, baked potatoes and peas. [p]By the way, is just me or does anyone else notice that if you buy a piece of meat at the shop, it doubles in size when you cook it? I swear to heaven that those ribeyes weren't that big in the shop. Crikey, they covered half the dinner plate. It was tough, but I finished mine. Lucky for the dog, the wife has a smaller appetite than me. Woooooof![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • KennyG, no photo, but I took left over leg of lamb (egged) shredded with garlic, more garlic, and then I added more garlic and some salt. Wife did up some tzaziki (sp???) put this on pita bread with onions and feta cheese! I dare any vampires to come arount here! Best gyros ever. Life is good!!

• KennyG
    nydin.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]Well.............here's my entree.[p]The wife started hitting the grape juice early and changed her mind a few times about the menu. Baked taters became potato wedges and the salad just conventional. The ravages of Demon grape are knocking on the door as I type. Good thing the movie we rented (Minority Report) doesn't have to be back for a few days[p]Anyway, good eats washed down with a little Yellow tail.[p]Happy New Year![p]Ken and Carol
    "Ken still sober"[p]

• Vogs
    Wise One,[p]I took around one pound of broccoli and mixed it with 1/2 cup olive oil. 1/4 cider vinegar, white pepper & salt to taste. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Mixed broccoli with a cup of grated parmesan cheese. Cooked indirect for 30 minutes at about 250 degrees. Tasted great![p]Vogs

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    KennyG,[p]Awesome! I just scarfed down some pork tenderloin prepared simply with salt, pepper, some dried herbs de provence, and lots of fresh rosemary. Grilled direct until about 148* (not on purpose, that's just the temp above 140* that I first noticed with my instant read thermometer). Delicious, though not nearly as pretty as your dinner![p]I'm still completely sober except for the slight NY Jets home playoff game hangover that will be with me until Saturday's game (Go Jets!). This will start to change right now as I pop my first beer of the evening...[p]Happy New Year!
    Cornfed - sober, but not for long...

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    newyearseve.JPG
    <p />Here it is in all its blazing glory! 3 filets with the mustard/salt/pepper treatment. Some king crab legs (for me and EliShark), one lobster tail (for AlexShark who is OBVIOUSLY not keeping kosher this evening), and some shrimp to keep it all company.[p]Lots of champagne coming. The butter in the warmers ready to go.[p]Here's to a good year, everyone!
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    KennyG,
    What a great setting!

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    We're through. It's done. Finished. Kaput. All but a few shrimp and maybe 4 oz of steak. Only casualty was the steak. Got it a little too done for my taste. Fire was deceptively hot. Lobster, crab, and shrimp were to die for. Very nice! It's, yawn, 9 p.m. Midnight? Muuuaaahhh. Maybe if we set the alarm. Gonna watch some MASH reruns on DVD and probably be snoring before the credits hit.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    MollyShark,[p]The dinner sounds, and looks, great. Happy New Year![p]Cornfed - getting further from sober
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    swordfish.JPG
    <p />Happy New Year to you and Carol, Kenny. And a very Happy New Year to all the members of our Big Green Family from your truly. It was swordfish smothered in a tarragon beurre blanc with chopped tomatoes and black olives for New Year's Eve dinner here. Be safe, be jovial, and be well, friends!!!!![p]Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jim

• 3364654723232%7Ffp6%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3Dxroqdf%3E232336343%3C739ot1lsi
    <p />I baked this one in a regular oven for my daughter's new year party.
    Apple rum pie - HAPPY NEW YEAR 2003

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Very nice Mike![p]Happy New Year,
    Puj

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Vogs,
    It looks and sounds great, too! How do you keep the cheese from melting off of the broccoli?

• site1011.jpg
    <p />KennyG,
    Well im gonna try to post my picture here for the first time.
    It was also my first time cooking a boston butt, cooked it for 20 hrs and it was absolutly delicious. It didnt have hardly any waste at all.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JSlot,
    Holy jumpin swordfish! That looks fantastic.[p]Any clues on how you made that sauce? Man, Jim, that looks good.[p]Enjoy your NY Day, and the rest of 03.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    JSlot,
    That swordfish looks fantastic!
    A combination of my favorite things.
    What all is in the sauce?[p]Janet[p]

• Vogs
    Steve-O,[p]Most of the cheese managed to stick to the broccoli partly due to the marinade. Also, at that low of a temperature the cheese did not melt all that much.[p]Vgos
  • JSlot
    Happy NY to you and yours, too, Chris. The recipe I use is from "Fish & Shellfish Grilled & Smoked" by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig. It is a great book.[p]The buerre blanc (white butter sauce) is fantastic on any fish. Here are the steps to make:[p]1. Bring ¾ cup dry white wine, ¼ cup tarragon vinegar, 1 T. finely chopped shallots, 1 t. dried tarragon to a boil over high heat. Continue to boil until the mixture has reduced to about 2 T.[p]2. Whisk in ¾ cup of heavy cream and bring back to a boil, whisking until the sauce has thickened and will coat the back of a spoon, ~4 mins.[p]3. Reduce heat to low and whisk in 2 sticks of unsalted butter cut into pieces. Add butter slowly until you have a smooth, silky sauce.[p]4. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper and serve hot![p]Enjoy!!![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Janet,[p]See the post below Nature Boy's for sauce recipe.[p]Happy New Year!
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thanks Jim!
    Hey, any chance you will be able to attend the 2003 Eggfest here in May?? Look forward to finally meeting you. If not, and if our income situation is better next year, I hope to be able to make it down to Jawga in October.[p]Sauce sounds great...thanks again.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JSlot
    I plan on attending both events, Chris. I look forward to seeing you there!![p]Jim