Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I take the egg apart

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi
I am moving and transporting an egg and I was wondering 2 things
1. Can it be dismantled at all?
2. What is the best way to transport an egg and the small cart?

thanks
tim

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    It can definately be dismanteled, but that might not be the most efficient way to reach your end goal of having it in place and cooking at your new home. It would depend on how far you have to go, who is moving it, etc.
    I would take it out of the nest, maybe remove the innards and wrap in old towels and put back in.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Good advice from Bacchus. Take the guts out and protect them. The egg will be much lighter and easier to move. That is the same way we put the large in a table at the house. It is very easy to handle and much less likely to lose your grip.

Beware and watch the post from "stitches." Watch where you place those little piggies while lifting. Metal can cut skin!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There have been a number of posts showing people using a flower pot moving contraption. It appears to be a rubber hoop, with two big loops on each side. They seemed to be designed for moving potted shrubs, etc, and work fine with the Egg. Even with one, I would still remove the Egg's interior parts.

There is still the problem of getting the Egg out of its nest. Its not too hard for two people, one with a hand in the lower vent, and both with a hand just under the hinge.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    If you lift using the hinge it will move and you will need to move it back to get the correct seal. Using the pot lift is the way to move all but the mini.

JMHO

Rick
  • CRF450808
    Options
    I completely dismantled mine which was very easy, just two screws really.. But when dismantled it takes up a lot of room. Like mentioned above, I wrapped the pieces in old towels and positioned em so they did not bump each other.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    we were thinking about just bungee cording it in the truck, in the cart and all. Is that a good idea? Its going to be about a 50 mile trip. Thanks for the advice, this should be fun. Its me and my cousin moving it
    tim
  • Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    Options
    How big is your egg?

I have a medium and can carry myself with no problem as long as you take out the guts....even in & out of a table.

For anything larger I would recommend the pot lifter and a friend. Don't forget beer for the friend.

http://www.potlifter.com/index.html
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Probably should take it out of the nest. No sense in tempting fate. Otherwise secure it real good and you should probably be fine.
  • kook
    kook Posts: 14
    Options
    when I brought my large home, I set it in the front seat of my truck and seat belted it in. LOL worked good