Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hangers I picked up this morning

Otobiz
Otobiz Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well after all the talk about hangers, I asked my butcher to order me some, heres what he got me.7.69 a pound, he said they are already prepped and ready to cook, He also said that this meat is very Sweet is that true?.What should I put on them, for spice, I usually use Montreal steak spice for my steaks.
caddi030.jpg
caddi028.jpg

caddi026.jpg

caddi029.jpg

any other suggestions would be great

Steve

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Those are definitely prepped and ready - except that tendon in the center. You can cook with that in and carve around it, or slice it out prior to cooking. Both methods work fine.

I season them with salt and Raisin' the Steaks, which is similar to a Montreal Steak Rub. I sometimes add a little fresh black pepper at the end of the cook. I like to cook them with a little cherry wood for color and a light smoky flavor.

These are best prepared at 450-500 direct until done. I do mine on a raised grid, but don't know if that is really important - I just seem to get a more even cook that way. A TRex style cook is not beneficial on this cut. I wouldn't go past 135* internal, lower is a little better.

Also, be sure to slice them lengthwise against the grain for the most tender slices.

Hangers.jpg

Hangers2.jpg
  • Otobiz
    Fidel, did you put a sauce on yours, they look really moist, and is this meat sweet tasting, the butcher said that he would not tell me where the meat comes from on the cow, I already Know anyway, it was like it would scare me away if I knew.
  • what fidel said!!! :lol:

only other thing i like to do with them is marinade them in some soy sauce and shallots, then pat them dry and hit them with some raising the steaks (or the montreal steak seasoning) ... .and ditto what fidel said about grilling them at 500 degrees direct till done. .. . no benefit to t-rexing them. . . .ain't nothing better than a good hanger steak!!
  • Fidel
    No sauce...they are naturally juicy.

Those in the pics were not marinated and had no liquid baste before or during the cook.

If the butcher really wanted to spook you he could have sold them untrimmed (but that would have saved you a bit of cash). They are pretty gnarly looking in their natural state.
  • Fidel
    I learned from the hanger master
  • Otobiz
    is it sweet tasting,cause i dont like no sweet
  • Fidel
    No - just a rich beef flavor.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
  • Otobiz
    whats the best to serve with my new found meat,gonna have father in law over for supper he enjoys a rare steak and cook the ladies a ny strip, but what am i gonna serve that will go good with the hangers and some strips.
  • Fidel
    I like doing a skillet full of hobo potatoes.

Set up CI skillet direct over a medium hot fire - 400-450. Melt some butter in the skillet, add sliced potatoes, salt and pepper. After 10 minutes or so add sliced onion. Carefully flip/stir every few minutes until golden brown and delicious.

TatersDoneSmall.jpg

You can also do some pan roasted sweet onions.

OnionsDone800.jpg
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    did my first hangers last saturday and they were real good! they have a strong beefy taste but it defenitly is a melt in your mouth meat!!

041-2.jpg
    042-4.jpg
  • nah, you weren't paying attention... . they told me the taste was equal.... i lot out on presentation and tenderness ...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Have you done your turkey demo yet? -RP
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    The hangers are something that I have not tried yet. So what am I waiting for?