Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Cleaning

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any magic way to clean the grid easily? It takes forever and I scar up my white kitchen sink. It is, of course, still worth the trouble.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Robb,
    I bust off the big chunks with a stainless steel curly scrubber, then run the grids in the dishwasher on pots & pans. Finally, spray heavily with non-stick spray before using.
    Ken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Robb,
    Someone mentioned using a plastic garbage can lid to soak the grid in something like simple green for several hours and then rinsing. If you have trouble with any kind of marks in the sink and comet won't remove them try using Bar Keepers Friend. I had some light rust colored marks in mine, comet did not work, soak with Clorox, no luck, Bar Keepers Friend took it out. You should be able to find it with the comet and such.
    New Bob

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Robb,[p]How about some canned oven cleaner? Take the grid(s) outside and stick em on the grass if the smell bothers you. Spray side one, let sit a while. Flip and spray side 2. Let sit a while. Wipe off. Everything comes right off. [p]
    mShark

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Robb,I spray my grid(s) with Greased Lightening. (available at Home Depot and Lowes) This is the best grease remover on the market, IMHO, and is economical to use. I spray it on, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and put in the dish washer on pot scrubber mode. Typically the grids come out looking new. If I'm in a hurry, I'll spray 'em down with Greased Lightening and break-out my commercial grade 2600 psi pressure washer. When I use the pressure washer the crud ends up in the nosey neighbors lawn 8)

• MollyShark,[p]Protect the grass, the oven cleaner will kill it...nde

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Robb,[p]There's another, somewhat different way...surprised it hasn't been mentioned.[p]Cook either steaks @ 700+ degrees or do pizza with the plate setter/pizza stone set up. The high heat from the steak cook or the pizza cook on the plate setter with nothing going on the grill should burn off most anything on the grill.[p]Hope that helps.
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Robb,[p]I have been using my grid 3 times a week for 18 mos and have never cleaned it. I scrub it, right in the Egg, with a brass bbq brush, and then fire up the Egg to about 700, and then scrub it again. Sometimes I turn it over and do the bottom. It's sterilized by the fire, and not much sticks to it for very long.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I was wondering why all the cleaning was going on. Glad to hear someone else doesn't clean theirs, either. Why lose all that good seasoning! LOL.[p]Jim
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Robb,[p]I never wash my grid. They get flavored after use.[p]I fire up the grill, and when its hot clean off the grid with a brass wire brush. The droppings just get burned up. Once the grid is hot it cleans much easier than when its cold.