Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porch-Mini

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still raining & crappy here in PA, but we still gotta eat, accordingly, the advent of 'porch-mini' (not shown, the fire extinguisher):

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    Looks like a great place to sit, have a beverage, and watch the mini do it's thing. :)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Looks great...I should be getting mine this coming week...can't wait..... if you do have some Mini cooks/recipes they are most welcome...
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Right now I've got 4 bone-in thighs on coated in olive oil & zippyrub, getting a jump on football Sunday, gonna make some chicken pizzas, will post finished product tomorrow (you've gotta be careful with this little guy, flame gets away from you real fast, & it's only a couple inches from your food, a whole new ballgame from the large):

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Got to do what you got to do...With all this talk about new Eggs, I had to go out and pick up this Mini yesterday. Man, what a cooking machine. Mine seems to take forever to get to that atomic temperature. Bought some NY's to burn tonight. Any suggestions other than having patients?

340256841.jpg
  • Zippylip
    Options
    huh, that is odd, the first time I fired up the little guy I stood there & watched it climb from cold to 400 in a couple minutes, then the needle kept moving (fast enough to actually see it move) on to 600 & towards 700 before I cut the air, afraid I was gonna torch the gasket. I am on about my 10th or so cook & it still doing the same thing, I can't imagine why yours is dragging its feet, maybe dust in the lump?
    happy in the hut
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Maybe. I'll see what happens tonight when I torch my NY's. I too am afraid to melt the gasket.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Same thing with the bigger eggs.. Make sure the opening in the firebox is lined up with the vent, the holes in the fire grate are not clogged, the lump is well lit, and keep the metal top off till you start reaching your desired temp.

We don't burn steaks.. We blacken them :woohoo:
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I made it to about the third or fourth cook before torching about 1/4 of my gasket, top and bottom, with this hair-brained idea for a homemade plate setter:

IMG_1842.jpg

It directed all the flame to the right-rear portion of the egg & melted the gasket there, I suppose a large NY could direct the flame in a similar fashion :ohmy: , but you gotta eat right :P
    happy in the hut
  • Beli
    Options
    Really :laugh: it´s going to be fun......great photos BTW......lookin forward to your pizzas.....have a good weekend.
  • Beli
    Options
    Sorry about the gasket & TKS for sharing ;)
  • Beli
    Options
    Is there such a thing as a plate setter for the mini???
  • Zippylip
    Options
    to my understanding, BGE doesn't make one, & there have been a few posts I found on a search showing home-made ones, Bubba Tim I think made something functional. I am gonna keep on trying to find something useful due to the short distance between the food & the grid, but I must say, it is very easy to control the flame, when you get a large flame-up, if the dome is down & you close the bottom vent, it vanishes in an instant, it's quite beautiful - with each cook on the little guy the food is getting better & better - you are gonna love it Beli, good luck & lets see some pictures of the maiden voyage, have a great day - Zip
    happy in the hut
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    somebody on here modified a pizza stone to resemble a plate setter
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Hey, Zippy! I've seen the garage, the fireplace, and the porch. Is the bathroom next? You could use the exhaust to remove any smoke or other gasses :blink:
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    I use a torch on my large. I tried using it on the mini, but flames were shooting every where, so I opted for rubbing alcohol. What are you using for the little critter?
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Since I am down to my last couple Webber starter cubes, I have been using the folded up papertowel dunked in oil trick, works great. After I deep fry anything now, I strain the used oil into a container I keep in the garage along with a roll of paper towels, endless supply of starters. Don't think I'll be going back to the cubes
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I think 'Roof-Mini' :ohmy: is next boss, could work
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    what exactly is that thing? did it cause any damage to your gasket?
    happy in the hut
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    it is a piece of soap stone and my gasket is fine...but i have not used it at high temps and i might have enough left to make you one OR since priority mail has no weight restrictions i can mail it to you and you can try it out..
    bill
  • Beli
    Options
    How thick bill?
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    will check tomorrow and e mail