Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or medium BGE?...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to purchase my first BGE today (I waited till the "off-season" so I'd save a lot of money on one), and I'm curious if I should go with the large or medium sized BGE? I've used the large BGE a lot in the past, but never the medium. I'm considering the medium sized since, 90% of the time, I'll only be cooking for my wife and I. However, I will be looking forward to smoking some food in the future for friends/family. My only concern is the medium BGE will be too small for cooking out for others, especially smoking food like chicken/ribs that take hours to complete. But, perhaps the medium BGE isn't that much smaller than the large, and will suit me just fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Auburnegger
    Options
    I had the same question. I am getting the large. I was wondering about the same issues and for the small difference in price to me it was worth it to get the large. That way I can get a small later ;)
  • I'm considering the medium since I can get a new one for $325 (a local dealer will no longer be carrying BGE after '08). Another local dealer has a large "demo" BGE for $600, which includes tax and stand. Basically, I'm looking at paying around $405 for a medium BGE (including stand and tax) and $600 for the large. Of course I'd rather have the large but I'd also love to save $200, especially if I don't need the large.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I've had a medium for 9 years and just recently bought a large. I've been using the large exclusively for a couple weeks, just to get used to it. Here are a few thoughts.

I am surprised by how much more charcoal I am going through. There's more space to heat, so it is taking a lot more charcoal to cook the same thing in the large than in the medium.

There are more configuration options with the large. While the aftermarket and BGE accessories for the medium are catching up, there's still more stuff out there for the large. But, there's a lot you can do with some fire brick splits and a few long bolts.

As for low and slows on the medium. I've had a fire last about 12 hours in the medium, without adding fuel. With a rack and some creative cutting, you can fit a heck of a lot of ribs in a medium. You can get a couple good sized shoulders in there, too. Briskets are problematic, though. Their length makes it had to find one with enough weight to feed everyone and fit in a medium without cutting it in two.

Once the honeymoon with the large is over, I see myself using the medium at least as much, if not more, particularly when cooking for just the two of us (95% of my cooks).
  • so in other words, unless I was able to get the large for a few bucks more....go with the medium, huh? I didn't even consider charcoal, and you're right in that I'm sure it uses quite a bit more. Personally, since I like to eat healthy most of the time, I'll be using the BGE primarily for chickens, turkey, and fish, and just occasionally for ribs, brisket, steak, etc. And, like I said, 90-95% of the time it will just be for the two of us, but occasionally I'll want to smoke some food out for others too.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    psst...that same local dealer is selling mediums on ebay for $300. Don't tell anyone B)
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I bit the bullet and did both. With a family of 4, I find that I use the medium more often than the large, especially for direct grilling and indirect roasting. With that being said, I wouldn't give up the large. I can do the 18-20 hour lo and slows, and with additional grids, cook for larger groups. I do notice that the large definitely uses more lump. If I had to only choose one, I'd keep the large over the medium.

TableSetup.jpg

fc
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    i like the large best out of all the egg sizes, its taller which makes cooking direct simpler and you use alot less lump cooking direct verse inderect. it also fits a real sized turkey and a good sized pizza which you will want to do later on. almost everyone here adds a second egg later on down the road which makes the lump miser small egg a great bargain over time. but you can get away with the medium, you might be wishing for the large later on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggatorator
    Options
    I had the same issue last year and decided to go with the medium (just my wife and me). I am usually all about the buy more if you can routine but in this case I decided the medium would work. So far I have no complaints. You do have to plan ahead when it comes to fitting the food on there but hey that's half the fun right? I have cooked for 12 hours + several times with no reload.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    RoanokeSmoke,

IMHO go with the large. It is the most versatile and has the most available accessories. When you want to do a large cook you'll have all you need. Think about the non-traditional uses; pizzas, breads, braises and stews, paella and desserts. It is a lot easier to find cookware to fit the large than the medium.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    My opinion, you'll be fine with the medium. I have done just what you've said happily for 9 years. When you boil it down, I bought the large for about 6 or 8 cooks a year. :huh:
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    If i had to choose between the 2 i would definately get the large. My first egg was a large and then a year later i got a small to go with it which as mentioned by others is a good combination. However, for your first egg i would definately start with the large, that way you dont limit yourself on what you want to cook in the future. You will not save that much in lump by going with the medium. The BGE is so efficient that even just cooking for 2 if you shut down the large as soon as your finished cooking chicken, steak, burgers, chops, you will get many cooks out of the same load of lump so that shouldnt be an issue.
    Have fun!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    95% of the time there's just the two of us as well, but we went with a large, added a small, then a medium and finally a mini. Though I won't sell it I only use my medium occasionally. In fact it's been 16 months! For me my workhorse is my beloved small, but my large gets frequent play due to pizzas, splatcocked yard birds and ribs. BTW that doesn't happen to be Roanoke, IL does it?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I started with a large and then wanted to add a small. My wife insisted I get a medium because she wanted a "daddy egg and a mommy egg" or some such nonsense. The end result was that I use the medium for virtually all cooks that don't demand the extra surface area and now she tells me that I wasted money on the large. Except, of course, when I do the ribs, the butts, the turkey, the prime rib, pizza, or use the wok, none of which fit comfortably in the medium.

So - I'd recommend the large if you expect to do any of those listed items. For general two-person stuff, them medium is great.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Least it's not the XL vs Large Question that pops up all the time.

Most of the time I am cooking just for me. Lady Wolf is a really picky eater and doesn't go for most of what I cook. She is getting better though :laugh: I usually cook on my small. When I am cooking for both of us it's usually things like whole chickens or turkeys and I cook on my large.

When I do the low n slow cooks it's always on my large or XL.

Bottom line: If you can afford the large get it. Two to Six months from now get a small.

As for "off-season" -- What is off-season? BBQ season never ends it just gets colder outside.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you go with the medium, you will be able to cook fairly easily for 6, and 8 with a little cramming. For example, Christmas dinner was a big goose for 8.

After a year, I got a 2nd medium for the versatility of cooking at different temps, or doing things like 2 pizzas at once.
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm fairy new with the BGE but I bought a large. While it is usually just my wife & I, I do like to cook for groups of friends. Last month I smoked a brisket and a pork sholder and used all of the grill space on the large. As for charcoal use, if I cook a chicken at 350 for 1.5 hours my charcoal use is minimal in my opinion.

So there you have it! With all the opinions you received you are most likely still asking yourself the same question. Do I want the medium or large?
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have had a medium for a year now. I have cooked 2 butts (15 lbs), 12 lb Turkey, and whole brisket many times. I have maintained a 250 dome temp for 18 hours many times. I usually cook for 2 but have cooked for 6 without issue. There are a couple of times a year I wish I had a large but only a couple. I love my medium and it has paid me back with fantastic food many times. The price you stated was a steal!
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i own a large and a mini cooked on a medium at the pa fest.. you can cook small on a large but you cannot make the medium bigger ....
    i cook for 2 or three. the large will take a big roasting chicken and a bunch taters lots of leftovers for soup or planked fish with planksd taters all at the same time..no sequential cooking..
    i would go with the large to start and as you can see many of us own multiple eggs the medium can be your second egg.
    just my 2 ¢ you will be happy with either and you will end up with both.. B)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Large. it is the most popular BGE for a reason. it's the best & most versitle.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    If I could keep only one of mine, it would be the large.

I don't dislike the medium, but the large holds more even before you add tjv's adj rig to the equation.

(And I suggest you add the adjustable rig to the equation :) .)

Big T
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I would suggest the large but for other reasons than most folks. If the medium is an older inventory egg, the fire ring will have a large gap between the inner egg wall and the outer diameter of the fire ring. On my medium the gap is almost 2".

I understand there is a newer fire ring for the medium which fits better. If the ring 'fits' the medium then I would think the low cost new medium might be a good choice.

If you are cooking at higher altitudes that can create a problem (and does for me) with performance.

If your egg is aligned properly when you close the egg down the lump will go out. Then I relight the remaining lump for the next cook. I don't see much difference in lump use in the large or medium if my seal is tight.

For me, most of the time, it is my wife and I. When all the kids & grand kids come over the group is 24. The large can handle the entire group just fine.

It is nice to have an additional egg or two so I can cook at different temps or I can cook something that really requires more cooking space.

I would suggest getting a large and a mini. I use the mini for my wife and I the majority of the time.

I have the large, medium, small and mini. Next year I may sell the medium - the ill sized fire ring just aggravates me. Other than that, for me, the medium is just as good as any of the other eggs.

GG
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I bought the large about 6 months ago and wouldn't trade it. Could just be I like the egg. I eventually want another egg or two and will probably be confused about which size when the time arrives. When cooking indirect if any food extends past the plat setter, you're cooking direct. The large gives you more surface area to handle that. I also like cooking the entire meal on the egg when I can; main dish and a couple of sides. As my only egg...I'll stick with the large.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Eh! Head
    Options
    Go with the large and will not look back
    I was looking at an XL but went with the LG and maybe
    next year another LG. Little Steven is right about the accessories, you can find a whole lot more to fit a LG .
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    Well I have to add my two cents, especially since I own a large and a medium. I would definitely go with the large--I think you will be surprised at how many low-n-slow cooks you will do requiring longer than 10-12 hours.

I started with the large about 3 months ago and recently purchased a medium (a steal on craigslist). I've done several low-n-slow cooks and even helped a friend out by cooking 33 lbs of pork butt for his party. I used on load of lump during this cook on the large--with a medium I would definitely needed to disassemble to add more lump and would not have been able to cook that many lbs. Also, as others have mentioned the large is more versatile with multiple set-ups available.

Whichever you choose you will be happy. Good luck.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Without a doubt a large as it is more versatile. Then if I was buying a second one I would go with a medium. I currently have a large and a small but IMHO a small is two small for most cooks
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I bought a small for my second egg and if I had it to do over again it might be a Med or Mini. I hear the medium burns the same amount of lump as the small, and the mini much less. I use the small mostly for a grill with my large for roasting. I could grill with a mini.
    Anyway she's mine and I'm keeping her.
    Get a large to start.
  • Bunda Buddy
    Options
    Get the large. My husband and I have the medium, wished we had gotten large. When we do ribs, salmon, anything long, we have to cut them in half. We don't have children, but still the large would have been best.