Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting to lose it

Options
docrjh
docrjh Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I'm becoming obsessed, I think. I've spent so much time in the archives, I don't think my brain is accepting any additional information. I suppose that the only logical thing to do at this point is cook on the crazy thing! Good News: I'll have my new egg tomorrow!! Today will start work on a table. Now the dilemna will be whether to risk Christmas dinner under the circumstances of absolutely no hands-on experience! Happy Holidays to all from the heart of Montana.[p]docrjh

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    docrjh,
    Well, it depends on what you're planning on cooking for the Christmas dinner. There is a learning curve to the Egg but the Egg is VERY forgiving. Doubtful you'll burn/ruin anything especially if you follow some of the ideas here. But since you'll have your Egg on Sunday, you'll have 2 days to practice. Good luck and welcome. And of course, if you need help, you know where to look!

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Good advice Shelby. Meanwhile, Metairie is three people short today. My wife's sister and family are on their way to Spring Texas USA. Guess it's up to you to keep the home fires burning. And I'm sure you will.[p]Merry Christmas[p]Leroy
    aka Spring Chicken

• docrjh,[p]Got a 10lb ham on jolly green right now. As its been said before. There is a learning curve, but I only get better with time. All you have to do is talk nicley to your new green friend and he/she will provide you with gifts. Remember, you arent the cook the Mr. Green is. You just have to make sure he/she is happy with lump or air. I think you will make a fantastic Christmas dinner. Wish I could be there. If you figure out what you want to cook give us all a hollar. From my own experience, everyone here is most helpful. Glad to see you in the gang.

• Elder Ward
    Options
    docrjh,
    Start with something simple like steak or chicken. You will do just fine. If you are timid about what others think.[p]I'm an old hunter and camper. If you listen to any fire side stores we tell, the best ones are always about what went wrong. It shows your human side and lets other consider the fact that they could not do any worst for trying. [p]Light winds and a calm sea never a sailor made.
    No guts no glory.[p]Elder Ward

• Banker John
    Options
    docrjh,
    Welcome to the family. I'm sure I speak for all when I say that you are ALWAYS welcome in our house.[p]Risking something as important as Christmas Dinner on your new grill? I say go for it. Others have mentioned before that there is a learning curve; and there. From my experience, I would suggest researching FLASHBACK - go to The Naked Whiz - he has a great piece on it. I mention it because I had my first flash back about 3 weeks ago and my arms still smell like burnt hair (ouch)[p]As for worrying about whether your Christmas dinner will turn out just absolutely perfect. Consider this... what could you be planning to cook that someone in your family here has not tried to make before. Many of your new family members have made the mistakes in preparation, time & temperature. Just ask us and we will be glad to help you plan the cook.[p]I would suggest firing up the egg and playing with the air vents to learn the positions that will result in the desired cooking temperatures.[p]Where do you live? I am in West Central Florida[p]- Banker John

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Banker John,
    Thinking of them as "learning opportunities" instead of "mistakes" helps me. And remembering that no matter how many times I've made a recipe, "this" is the first time I've put "this" recipe on "that" bed of coals in "these" weather conditions - every time's the first time!
    Welcome, docrjh. There's a world of wisdom to be found, in this thread alone, and also all over the board. My personal suggestion: do Christmas dinner on your new baby - ham, or a pork loin.
    Happy Holidays, Ken

• docrjh
    Options
    Banker John,
    I live in the exact geographical center of Montana. Lewistown is a small community of approx. 7 thousand. I live 3 mi. out on a beautiful spring creek. Anyone flyfish? It sounds like you're in the heart of BGE country. Nobody I know has ever heard of one! Man, it'll be fun having the first![p]Randy

• Banker John
    Options
    docrjh,
    Flyfishing? ... Heck ya! If it has a hook, I'll try it. I'm in prime redneck country (population about 7,000 too). Some of the locals here don't use hooks though. We prefer BANG sticks. You know... tie the stick to a brick, light the fuse, toss the brick in the deep end of the pond, plug your ears, watch the water swell with a loud THUD, then paddle over to the flowating fish and just use a dip net.[p]Of course, our game warden does not approve of this very effective method. But then again, the last time I was on the boat with him and lit the fuse, it's amazing how quickly he threw the brick to fish![p]Actually, Montana sounds real neat. You will find many "outdoors" types here. My wife and I are considering a vacation to Montana (well I am; she wants Disney World (YUCK))

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    No doubt the Egg fire will be burning. Rib eye roast tomorrow; turkey on Tuesday and not sure about Wednesday.
    Maybe one time you could come this way and we could get together.

• docrjh
    Options
    Banker John,
    LOL to the "Now are we goin'ta fish er jes talk about it?" story. Give me a holler if you can talk your wife out of Wally-World. [p]Randy

• docrjh,
    Listen to Banker John about the fire ups. Every once in a while doing steaks I forget the temper of Thumper. The poor little baby has the control of a baby fire breathing dragon. He knows I love him, he just cant help him self sometimes. I've walked away from searing steaks a few times with my arm looking like a new born babe. Not one stich of hair on it to prove Im still a man. :-) Its my own fault though. Its not like someone hasnt warned me a FEW times. I just get excited to open up the mouth and look inside.[p]Let us know how Christmas dinner goes. FYI: Just did 14lbs of Ham. Turkey will be Christmas Eve. Ribs a day after that. Then, hickory smoked chili that I created from everyone's input.

• docrjh
    Options
    RebelCause,
    Thanks for the warning. I do think we'll end up doing ribeyes for Christmas along with lobster tails. This is our traditional Christmas fare. I'll do the steaks in the egg at least. I will burp as implored![p]Today is the big day! I'll have the new addition tonight or late this afternoon. Thanks again.[p]docrjh (Randy)