Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple syrup - best kind? (stupid post alert)

AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just used up the last of a bottle of some good kind - I don't know what it is because I'm a Mrs. Butterworth type 'o girl.
I know, I know....

Anyway - I want to order some good stuff for Brent but I have no idea of what brand/ grade/ etc.....

help!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    AlaskanC,

Maple syrup is graded and has different qualities. Some brands from Quebec and Vermont are really good.
    http://www.ontariomaple.com/fact-finding/pure-maple-syrup.html

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Ask for "Fancy" grade. The best. It's thinner than you would expect of maple syrup, but it is the absolute best.
  • Buxwheat
    I have a cousin in Vermont that does maple sugaring. Drop me an email and I can give you their address. Word of warning though: shipping is expensive (the stuff is heavy) and "Fancy" is not cheap.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    MapleWood.jpg

I have a sugar maple wood connection.... he swears by Vermont fancy syrup too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Steve the one Mike sent me is the best I've ever had......thin & subtle... can you describe its type??
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Vermont or Maine pure maple syrup is the best. I like a B grade. You will love it on Salmon with a little lemon pepper. You can get into some very expensive syrups. It like wine, balsamic venigar and other type artisan foods. The better the grade and quality the higher the price. Good luck with your search. You can find plenty of places on the net to buy. Ping Fishlessman and maybe he help you out. Tom
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    For Cooking you want a Grade B (medium). For your pancakes you want Grade A (Fancy, Light)

I'd look to anything that comes from Vermont. Vermont Maple Syrup is akin to Alaskan King Salmon..

Vermont Maple Syrup
  • Little Steven
    Beli,

I'm pretty sure that was homemade. I doubt if it was graded. Of course, I could be more help if I had actually received a bottle. :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    STEVE I OFFERED YOU SOME AND YOU SAID NO TO IT CAUSE IT WAS VERY AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA.....
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Check the link I gave to Melissa..

Grade A Fancy has very light color and flavor to it. It is produced from the first harvest. As the season gets going the syrup produced from the sap gets darker and darker.

It is the one thing I miss living in the south. My home in NY had several Sugar Maples on it. I tapped them all.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have to admit that the Vermont grade A fancy I've had was just a little better than the grade A Indiana local I buy. As a reference, the local here is $6 a pint. Note that there are other syrups. I had some hickory a few years ago (quite pricey) that was really good.
  • AlaskanC
    Thanks for the link - I guess I have a lot to learn about syrup! :)
  • mikeb6109
    when i purchase from my local guy, i prefer getting his last batch cause it is at the end of the run ant it is much darker,thicker and personnally i find it better tasting.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    grade 'A' fancy (light amber) is what the new englanders sell to the folks up on a day trip from New York. it's the lightest, most subtle. but you get more flavor with Grade B actually. the darker grade is what we put on our pancakes at home. shhhh don't tell.

actually, split the order, and instead of a big jug of one, get smaller amounts of each.

you can get Grade 'A' medium and dark amber too. i would just try the two extremes.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    ...heat it up if you are serving it for pancakes, waffles etc.
  • AlaskanC
    Uuuuh - could you speak a little slower please?

so wait - are you saying it doesn't really matter? nooooooo
  • Little Steven
    Mike,

Sorry, I forgot :S

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlaskanC
    oh great. So you are telling me that there is this holy grail of maple syrups out there that I will never be able to lay my hands on.... :)

I guess It's kinda like our wild salmon that we throw on the bbq while it's still twitching - you have to be here for that sort of thing. ;)
  • AlaskanC
    will do!

I know all about expensive shipping :)
  • stike
    here. i 'll slow it down for you.

'A' is lightest. rarest. still pretty "maple-y" in flavor. first run of the season usually.

'B' has deeper maple flavor. stronger. darker. made later in the season.

any self-respecting new englander has both in the cupboard. if you want the least subtlety (most maple flavor), go for the cheaper 'B' grade. if you want to impress, get the 'A'.

but rather than a half gallon of one, i'd get quarts of both.

they are both good. each has it's own virtues
  • AlaskanC
    Weird. It seems like you would want the thicker stronger tasting stuff..... but that's just me I guess.

so canadian or vermontian....or does it matter?
  • stike
    contrary to assertions otherwise, it's all the same.
    no terroir in maple syrup.

would that it were so
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The grade A isn't boiled down as much. Some people claim that the maple flavor is more apparent, because the darker is mixed with carmelized sugar from longer boiling.

Its a little like taste in coffee. Most people are familiar with robusta beans, roasted medium to dark. Arabica beans with a light roast make a brew almost as light as tea.
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    I agree with stike. We were just up in Stowe VT this weekend and stopped in at a maple syrup place. The lady that was helping us let us try all three grades. I liked them all but prefered the medium to dark better. The only difference in the production in them is when the sap is harvested. The woman that helped us said her distributors where selling all the grades at the same price this year. I say get all the grades and let your taste buds make up your mind for you.

Good luck, Pdub
  • Buxwheat
    When you do buy your syrup (more than likely packed in cans), be aware that unopened it will last a long time, but once opened, store it in the fridge and use it quickly, or transfer it to glass or plastic and store in the fridge. We used to get all our syrup in gallons, then store it in the fridge in Mason jars. If left in the can, it will darken and the taste will change. If it does, pour it into a sauce pan and heat it and skim it. Good as new. The cans come with a screw on cap, but after removing it, there will be a metal seal beneath that you need to puncture. We had fresh salmon cooked over an open fire when we went to Alaska. They had some sort of sauce they spooned over it that they called "Bar-b-Que" sauce. Tasted like maple syrup to me, but the salmon was great with the stuff.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Mike,
    How did the mex. goodies arrive in Canada??
    Yesterday I used my apron for the first time...and the cutting board too hadn't realized it's ironwood... really good stuff...TKS again & take care!!!!
  • AlaskanC
    It probably was maple syrup mixed with some Johnny's seasoning salt or Yoshida's sauce.
    I haven't used that combo in a long time - I might try it out this week :)
  • mikeb6109
    i had one casualty.. :(
    one of the large cooking pots was shattered,the others were ok though. the doll i gave to my parents and they will be emailling you to personally thank you!
    thanks again my friend!
  • mikeb6109
    steve if you want some i can get you a gallon i beleive?? from what i remember that is what is left and it is the good dark thicker stuff!!