Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash tool for mini?

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I called my local dealer to see if he had one weeks ago & he did not, said he would order one for me from GA, haven't heard a peep out of him since. I emailed customer serivce in GA inquiring as to whether I could order one directly from them, haven't heard a peep out of them either - is there a conspiracy to deprive me of an ash tool :( , & does anyone know of an online source to pick one of these up?
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Zippy,what you need is a small ashtool.They only come in three sizes,small,large,and XL.Try calling the mothership,I hear they're faster that way ;) BTW,the small ashtool fits the mini and small.The large ashtool fits the medium and large.And the XL is in a league of it's own :blink:
  • Hey Zippy do your self a favor think twice about getting a small ash tool. I have a small egg and have the small ash tool and and the tool is really not worth it because the hole is to small. I just use a shop vac when I clean my small egg. Good Luck
  • I find the easiest way to clean my medium is to remove all the innards and use a couple of plastic drywall knives to clean the ash out of the bottom. Only takes seconds and it is clean as a whistle. ;)
  • i also remove the innards and use a little wisk broom or shop vac but if you want one
    fred
    quick service nice to do business with
    bill
  • Otobiz
    Otobiz Posts: 82
    I also just use my small shop vac with a vacuum bag inside it so its not blowing dust everyware, Takes like 15 sec to vacuum all the ash out and you can stick the hose all around the exterior of the fire pit.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I made one from flat stock from H.D. It's about 1/2 inch wide, 10 1/2 inch long and maybe 1/8 inch thick. It was a fairly long piec, maybe 3 ft. so I just put one end in the vise and bent it, then cut to length & bent the other end with a mallet.

Keep in mind, this is 10 1/2 long with the bends.

AshtoolforMini001.jpg

AshtoolforMini003.jpg
    AshtoolforMini004.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Zippy,

I wouldn't buy one. The space is so narrow the small ash tool usually dislodges the fire grate and at that point the innards end up having to be cleaned out anyway.

I usually do about 3 cooks then take the innards out.

I would follow Bordello's idea or RRP has a great custom ash tool that looks like it would be really good.

If you don't have a vice or a way to bend steel stock, pick up some aluminum stock or brass stock. Either will bend easily.

GG
  • just hit the local ACE and buy a mini curtain rod and pull it apart. it is already bent the 90 degrees and plenty long enough. besides you get two for the price of one and they are about $1.50
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I made mine from a scap piece of strap metal and pop-riveted a piece of brass on the end.
    IMG_0962.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.