Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken

kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen that many people cook beer butt chicken at low temps..225 range. With turkey, i have learned you need 325-350 for skin browning. How do those chicken pictures look so fabulous at 225? Nice and brown. And...like turkey, if you cook beer butt at low temps does'nt it get "chewy"? Anyway...what is the best temp for beer butt chicken if you want a brown skin? How much time will it take? Also, i learned a bit about the difference in roasters and fryers. I'll be doing fryers since they are younger and more tender with more fat for a juicy effect. I found this info on a poultry website.

Comments

• kim,
    I am one of the guys who likes to go low and slow with chicken and I still get browned skin. the higher in the egg you sit your chicken, the better the browning goes. Some of the indirect setups pictured at GFW's or TimM's websites work well. (for example, one grid on top of a plate setter or fire bricks that are themselves on top of a grid). [p]lately, I've just used one grid with firebricks on that, but I put the chicken upside down (legs in the air) on a narrow-necked vertical roaster (made out of metal). this gets the chicken way up in the air. [p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    kim,[p]I do 'em direct at 325°-350°. I haven't had one turn out badly yet.[p]Jim
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    JSlot,
    Are you using a beer can or something like a Willie's sitter??? If so, are you using anything to catch the drippings???
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    New Bob,[p]I use a ceramic chicken sitter and no drip pan.[p]Jim