Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love that Egg chili !!

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
chilingr2.jpg
<p />In the last couple of days, I noticed a few folks blowing their horns about chili. I just had to get in on the act. Actually, with minor surgery scheduled for tommorrow, I'm just trying to keep my mind busy.[p]I figured I'd make a small lunch batch with a little bacon, some fine Alabama hot pork sausage and those wonderful Mexican dried chilis (cacasbels and oaxacas) from old friend DTM in Montana.[p]I'll even risk getting myself in trouble by smoking this brew in one of the wife's Magnalite stockpots. Won't be sleeping tonight, so film at 11:00.[p]chileside.gif[p]

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    KennyG,
    Try adding some coco powder and a cup of coffee. It would also appear that you are missing either some beer or bourbon to deglaze the pan. The only other thing that I could suggest is Mexican Oregano. [p]Good luck and let me know if you need anything.
    R&J

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    RhumAndJerk,
    You have got to remember Michael it takes Kenny about 12 hours to make a pot of chili.We cooked your Pickapeppa shrimp last night...man is that stuff good.
    Larry

• RhumAndJerk
    YB,
    I have dreaming about those shrimp as well. Maybe I will make some for New Years Eve.
    Ken on the other hand, needs lunch today and not tomorrow. Heeeeeeeee.[p]I have a recipe for some killer beef stew that I discovered in the spring and just got around to trying it over the weekend. I will put it out when I get a chance. It called for both Chuck and Shank, two of the toughest cuts of meat. When all was said and done the meat just fell apart and talk about Beef Flavor![p]Enjoy,
    R&J

• KennyG
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Good idea, I just happen to have some left over coffee. Also, YB is correct, I like to cook this stuff for a "while" and have several hours to determine the final ingredients. hehehe[p]K~G

• YB
    RhumAndJerk,
    That sounds good...I would like to have the recipe when you have time.
    Larry

• YB
    KennyG,
    Will the chili be ready before 2 pm tomorrow hehehe.
    Larry

• RhumAndJerk
    YB,
    Drop me an email with your snail mail. A photo copy will get there faster this time of year.
    R&J

• KennyG,[p]Say kenny. If things don't go well with the minor surgery, can I have your thermocouplers (
    eating grin here).[p]Nice chili.[p]and good luck with the procedure. [p]CB
  • KennyG
    YB,[p]I just checked and the chili seems to be coming along nicely. Should be ready before midnite tonite, after which I can't eat or drink anything (hate when that happens). Might be ready to wash down with a couple of bottles of Yellow Tail before "witching hour" tonight.[p]Ken

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    KennyG,
    What is it that you use to determine when your chili is done? Is it primarily the amount ow water that has cooked off?[p]Thanks, CR

• RhumAndJerk
    CR,
    When you spend more sampling than stirring, the chili is done.
    I also tell by how the beans are cooked. I normally use dried beans, so when they are cooked so is the chili.[p]Hope this Helps,
    R&J

• KennyG
    childone.jpg
    <p />This was a shoot from the hip recipe using freezer and pantry items. Fortunatly, I didn't blow my toes off this time and probably made my best batch ever.[p]Inspite of the "hot" chili beans and the "hot" sausage and the "hot" 4 spice adobo powder, the finished product was tasty and wimpy. I added a spash or two or Mrs. Dog's (J Appledog on the forum) "Dangerously" hot sauce to obtain the capsaicin level I was looking for***[p]This will keep you warm on a cold and snowy Cleveland winter day.[p]K~G
    ***confessions of an accomplished and professional chili-head, don't try this yourself at home![p]

• KennyG
    CR,[p]Good advice from R&J! I use a Polder set to go off at 200* internal chili temp. Then I shut the Egg down and let it sit there. [p]Hours later, it will still be too hot, temp wise, for most guests and too hot, spice wise, as well.[p]Ken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    KennyG,
    I see what you're doing, very clever.[p]"Hours later, it will still be too hot, temp wise, for most guests and too hot, spice wise, as well"[p]And too hot, spice wise, as well. HEE,HEE,HEEeeeee
    All the more for you, good going. I'm learning all kinds of things here.[p]Regards,
    New Bob