Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

butt quantity

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im doing a holiday party this weekend for about 35 guests, Pulled pork will be the main dish. How many boston butts will I need? Should I throw on a picnic as well? what setup should I use to get the most meat on. Thanks. billy.

Comments

• billysbbq,
    aprox 17 pounds of raw product and cook indirect.
    Jim

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    bnb.jpg
    <p />billysbbq,[p]Jim has the quantity right. Maybe you could add a brisket instead of the picnic. The photo is 2-8 lb butts and a 14 lb brisket. As far as the setup I used an inverted plate setter, drip pan, main grid with the brisket and the two butts on a grid extender. You could do the same thing with some fire bricks and an extra grid ( $8.00 at Home Depot). You can do 3 or 4 butts with this setup as well. Good luck.[p]Chuck

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Chuck,
    I'm going to do this on Christmas Day; 11 pound brisket and approx. 7 pound butt. What cooking temp did you use and what internal temp for each did you shoot for? What was the approximate cook time?

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I used 220* for most of the cook and bumped it up to 250* at the end. The cook went for almost 20 hours. The brisket was at 190* and the butts were at 200*. The brisket was a whole untrimmed one and the combination of all that fat and the butts dripping on it made for the most moist and tender brisket I had done to date. Good luck with your Christmas cook and let us know how it comes out.[p]Chuck
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Chuck,
    Many Thanks. [p]Merry Christmas from San Antonio.