Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

**SOS** IN MIDDLE OF COOK, COVER WON'T CLOSE

remdog
remdog Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what do i need to do to adjust the cover mechanism? the whole mechanism is moving a bit when I open the lid and the when I try to close it I have to sort of pull the cover to one side for it to close completely on the seal. I've been using my grill for a couple of years and have never adjusted, and of course this has to happen to me now that I'm 7 hours into a slow cook of pork & beef ribs, chicken & veal. HELP!! :ohmy:

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    First thing that i can think of is to close the dome and tighten the nuts that are on the upper and lower bands.
  • Be CAREFUL - sounds like you need to try to get it closed and aligned as best you can (try not to fully open it). Then tighten your band bolts and hinge bolts.

Good luck!
  • i suspect one or more of your bolts are lose...if it it the band bolts you are liable to flip the dome right off your egg. do not lift it again center it and check all bolts for tightness.
    band bolts should be checked and tightened regularly the bolt should be tightened to bent.
    if you don't understand the bent part i can post a pic

CAREFUL no diasters on eggfest day
    bill
  • Close the lid , line it up, and tighten both the top and bottom bands. I just don't know if the egg being warm will matter? good luck, Brett
  • remdog
    yes please post pictures what I need to do --I'ma great cook but I ain't no hadyman :sick:
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    I suspect the problem is not where you took that picture, but with the bolts that tighten the circular bands around lid and body. Or does the hinge mechanism seen loose and sloppy?
  • remdog
    actually i just tightened all the bolts i could and it seems ok now. phew!
  • remdog
    "the hinge mechanism seems loose & sloppy" is a perfect description. its better now but still doesn't semm 100%. what else shoud I do?
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    If it seems better, you are probably OK to (carefully) get through this cook then approach what's left of the problem once things are cool. People keep saying "careful" because you really don't want the lid to roll off and break, so be very observant when you open and close.
  • bolts002.jpg

bolts001.jpg

let me know if this is not clear these are old pics i will take new better ones
  • remdog
    got it. mine look like that, so could it be a different problem with the actual hinge mechanism?
  • If you need to tighten the bands to get thru the cook, go ahead, but tighten slowly. You have a much higher chance of cracking the dome when tightening the bands on a hot egg.
    Every once in a while on the forum we hear of someone who opened their egg and the dome falls off because the bands had loosened up. The dome has a bulge over the band, kinda looks like someone's stomach when they put their belt too tight, yet there is no bulge on the dome on the underside of the band. If there was one it would reduce the chance, or stop a dome from falling off if the band was loose.
  • give them a tighten with the wrench they were bent when it was assembled but they still could be loose
  • This could also be a lubrication problem.Spray all moving parts of the hinge with pam for now and after every thing cools down after your cook spray them all with Tri flow or any good penetrating lube. Just be careful not to get any inside the egg.
    Good luck
    Jim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    By now you are probably through your emergency.

There has been a good resolve to the band bolts. However, I have found that if the some of the 8 hinge bolts are loose the hing itself will shift rather than open and close.

One time I have to physically pull the dome down and it felt like it was going to bend something. I opened again, then began to close slowely. I moved the dome sideways and to the front when closing.

The dome closed, I aligned side to side and front to back then tightened the 8 hinge bolts.

All seemed fine after I did that.

Lubrication, I would use good old WD40, don't get it on too heavy or inside the egg.

GG
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    My medium (9 years old) has pins in the bands that fit into holes in the ceramic, both top and bottom. The pins make sure you have the thermometer hole and the draft door lined up centered and provides a small amount of a safety in the case of loose bands. I have a brand new large where the gasket had to be replaced after just a couple of cooks. I was surprised to find that the holes are still in the ceramic, but the new style hinge and bands don't have the index pins.

Wonder why they were abandoned?
  • remdog
    thanks for all your help folks. I worked on it the next day and found that some of the bolts on the hinge mechanism were loose. I tightened them, lubed it up, and we seem to be back in business now. Now if only the tightening of a few loose screws and some lube could get our economy back into shape....